Backfire and weber tune help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Backfire and weber tune help

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
rb85cj7-82cj8

Backfire and weber tune help

Okay here is the situation. I have a weber on my 258 with no ECM (82 didn't have it). All the emissions stuff is still intact. Original ignition. Mr. Gasket fuel pressure reg.

I am getting a backfire on deceleration from high speeds 45+. The kicker is that if i keep the accelerator depressed slightly it doesn't do it.

Have checked the timing and taken it as high as 12 and as low as 6. Have re-tuned the carb.

Went to O'reily's today and rented their compression tool and going to check that tomorrow night. also picked up a vacuum gauge and going to check for leaks there.

I don't know what else to include. Any thoughts or suggestions?

rb85cj7-82cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
CJ5_Renegade

Try here: http://webernorthamerica.com/pdffile...otingguide.pdf
Not sure, but it sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me.
CJ5_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
rb85cj7-82cj8

I just did a vacuum test on it and it has a huge spike (6 deg) higher when you let of the gas. It runs at 19 and spikes to 25 when i let off.
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I'm with the feul pressure..I have never been found of those dial-a-matic regulators..Its best if you have one is to put an inline feul gauge to verify the pressure..Also do you have a return line to the tank...The vacume is normal in my circumstances to spike high when reveed and the throttle plates are sharply close,it creates alot of vacuum in the manifold by the higher rpm's wanting to drawl in X amount of air and the throttle plates are closed creating a blockage of sorts..I would check into the feul pressure and timing..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
rb85cj7-82cj8

Okay so i have kinda fixed it. I pulled the belt off the smog pump and no more pop. I will still check the fuel pressure tonight or in the morning.

thanks for the input.

Next question is can I drive my Jeep with the just the belt off the pump and all the hoses still hooked up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.