Back Splash out the vent hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Back Splash out the vent hose

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
MontiyCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Back Splash out the vent hose

I'd like to ask the master minds of this forum for some ideas of how to stop gas from rocketing out of the filler vent hose on my 1980 CJ7. I 've searched the threads and found nothing that would help me. Problem: when filling up and near "top off" gas willl shoot up through the vent hose (not the main filler hose) and shoot out all over. I have the vent hose out and thought of putting some kind of check valve (that i can't find) or something else to stop or slow down this gas problem. I know I can put my ear to the tank on fill ups and listen but, since I have the hose out I thought I could do something about this. I need some help please. Thanks for your time!

MontiyCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
halpeters
1978 CJ7 

It is a rubber hose that runs from the tank to the filler neck.

Some ideas...

Try putting a hose clamp about half way down the rubber hose to choke off part of the flow.

Make sure the hose isn't being pinched at the bend next to the filler...

Hal
Unread 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
MontiyCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Thanks Hal. I thought of putting something inside the hose to help stop the sudden burst of gas coming up through the vent hose. Any ideas that would be gas resistant? I don't understand why the vent hose has such a large diameter. Still looking for more other ideas.
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
oofrog
1981 CJ7 

i had an issue when it was full, and i was on a fairly extreme angle, that gas was pouring out of it, lost about 1/4 of a tank as we towed me out???

is there anything that can be done to stop this?
oofrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontiyCJ7 View Post
I'd like to ask the master minds of this forum for some ideas of how to stop gas from rocketing out of the filler vent hose on my 1980 CJ7. I 've searched the threads and found nothing that would help me. Problem: when filling up and near "top off" gas willl shoot up through the vent hose (not the main filler hose) and shoot out all over. I have the vent hose out and thought of putting some kind of check valve (that i can't find) or something else to stop or slow down this gas problem. I know I can put my ear to the tank on fill ups and listen but, since I have the hose out I thought I could do something about this. I need some help please. Thanks for your time!
Are you sure you have the correct filler and vent hoses connected correctly? The vent hose should be off the top of the tank and has a formed bend or hump molded in place to prevent gas from shooting out. Plus, the metal filler neck has two vent exit ports built into it that splits the air escaping from the tank. If you are over filling the gas tank, fuel would exit from the fill tube instead first because it is mounted lower on the tank than the vent tube.

Quote:
i had an issue when it was full, and i was on a fairly extreme angle, that gas was pouring out of it, lost about 1/4 of a tank as we towed me out???

is there anything that can be done to stop this?
Replace your gas cap gasket or just buy a new gas cap. Fuel should not spill out as the cap prevents this and keeps fuel confined to the filler neck area and the fuel will drain back into the tank. No automobile designed is allowed to have fuel leak from the cap as per Safety and EPA regulations.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
PERK
1983 CJ7 

is your tank vented to the charcoal cannister?
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Problem: when filling up and near "top off" gas willl shoot up through the vent hose (not the main filler hose) and shoot out all over.
Well, gas is supposed to come out this 'vent' hose when the tank is full to shut off the automatic gas filler nozzles. I believe that is the main purpose for this line.

That is actually one of the 'fixes' to turn some YJ 15 gallon gas tanks into a 20 gallon gas tanks. They have the hose set deep enough that gas pours out the vent tube at the 15 gallon mark, folks move it up and can put in 20 gallons.

That said, maybe you just need to slow down the rate of fill when it gets near full or find a gas station that has those splash guards (made just for this problem) on their pump nozzles. Gas blows back out of most gas tank fillers if you don't slow the pump down near the end. My CJ's sure will...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
MontiyCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Thanks guys for all the great comments. I thought that there would be a quick fix but, I guess I'll look for a gas station with that splash guard on the pump handle. If I have a charcoal cannister could I use the idea and reduce the diameter of the vent hose?
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the great comments. I thought that there would be a quick fix but, I guess I'll look for a gas station with that splash guard on the pump handle. If I have a charcoal cannister could I use the idea and reduce the diameter of the vent hose?
The hose in question is not a 'vent' hose. It is a shut off hose for an automatic gas filler nozzle. When you close the gas cap, this line is as closed as the fill line.

The gas tank still needs a vent hose or it can get a vacuum on it causing the engine to run out of gas if sealed and if left open bad raw gas fumes escape.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.