Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

back half of cj5 frame to replace rotted cj7 frame?

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  boarderofsnow 
#1 ·
hey guys, hopefully someone will answer my question...

i have a 78 cj7 that has the typical frame rot behing the rear axle, there is a cj5 frame of the same year that is practically rust free, but can i weld-in the back half of the cj5 frame onto the cj7 and be able to get everything dimension-wise to work? or am i still looking at some extensive mods? i do not have a side-by-side comparison to look at concerning the frames.

thanks!

#2 ·
It all depends on where you cut the frame. Here's a comparison of the two.

Attachments

#6 ·
This is some of the best information I have found so far. I am doing a stretch in the rear of a CJ5 with the BTF kit. I am having all sorts of questions and no one seams to be able to answer them. If what you are saying is right jonesy1 The BTF cj7 stretch fuel cell should be the exact same measurements for my cj5. This was some great information guys! Thank you for sharing! Now if only I didn't have to pay 850 bucks for that replacement fuel cell they offer....lol!

#8 ·
I got 9k invested in the 5. Past the point of no return. I'll turn the 5 into a buggy somewhere down the road 7's are like @$$holes.......everyones got one....:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.