Back in the game - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Back in the game

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Back in the game

Woo! Back in the CJ game finally. I just purchased a '86 CJ-7 and I got a great Jeep wave on the way home with it. Hopefully, I'll remember to take enough notes and pictures (possibly) to update this thread periodically and maybe contribute some in some small way to this forum.

lacpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You just did 'contribute'
Misery loves company.
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

post up some pictures of your new ride! Congrats
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

I'll get some up as soon as I figure out how to do it. Been fighting electrical all weekend trying to get windshield wipers working. Not sure but I think I may have a switch/motor mismatch. Once they're on, they won't turn off.
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Unread 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

hopefully, that worked. I can put up more once I know for sure other people can see this picture...Got to go research wiper motor problems.

Anyone know for sure if the 3 position switch (non-delay) works with the 4 wire (delay) motor? From reading on my phone, it appears that it should if I remove (or don't have) the delay harness. Attached (theoretically) should be pics of the motor, switch and 4 wire connector. Any help would be appreciated. The switch is getting power, and all 4 wires to the motor are hot, which doesn't seem right to me, but when I poke them with the electrical tester, the light comes on all 4 times.

Unread 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice Jeep ya got there. As to the wipers you stated that once on they don't turn off, how are you turning them off now? As I recall I think there's a lead for each speed and then a lead for it to return to the "rest position". I'm sure I'm missing something and hopfully one of the other folks will chime in. Good Luck with your "new" Jeep.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Bigjoe, thanks for the look. It really is a pretty clean CJ. Almost no rust, and the only thing it's missing that I wanted is a 5-speed. Once I get the electrical figured out ( and to be fair, most of it works), I'll be ready for hunting season and rides with the kids once it cools off a little.

The PO had been unplugging the 4 wire connector turn them off, which is simple, but not the way I want to do things. After a fair amount of research, it appears that the motor could be wired wrong, so I'm going to try pulling the connectors and flipping the order of them. Hopefully that fixes it.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Hope that's the fix for you. As I recall there was a writeup on CJ wiper wiring awhile back. Do a search on the forum for the wiper wiring, may help some. Good Luck.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Is that a yj wiper set up? Do a search on here and plenty will pop up, that's how I figured mine out.
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Pretty sure it's a late model CJ setup, without the intermittent feature. After a good amount of time spent using the search function, I'm going to try switching the wires around and see if that works. I'm also going to verify that the motor isn't locked up or something, although I'm not 100% sure how to do that.

Last night, just our of general pissoff, I stopped and bought a toggle switch so I can "rig" it to work if needed (with just one speed) while I continue to chase down the actual problem. Also got the Jeep registered and a license plate, so I'm legal until the end of the day when my inspection sticker expires. I am however going to continue to chase the problem, as part of my goal is for this Jeep to be better than she was.

I had driven her to work today, planning on getting a new inspection done, but life/work intervened, and I got nothing accomplished. I may drive her again tomorrow and see if I can get it done then.
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Just an update on the last couple of days...

And that update is that nothing happened. I haven't even opened the door to look inside. After my drive, I decided to circle back around and change the oil (which looked okay, but what the heck) and at least double check the transmission/transfer case/axles. I may change them depending on what I find.

The oil pressure was really low (I thought) on my drive, dropping to under 10psi at idle at stoplights. The other odd thing I noticed was that if the jeep was under load, like accelerating, the temp gauge was running up above 195. Now I freely admit it's hot as Hades here at the moment, but still strange. This will require more thought, and y'all please feel free to chime in if this sounds familiar.

Hopefully will have a little bit of progress over the weekend. I'd like to try and keep this thread going with updates and maybe a few pics.
Unread 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Jeep stuff update

Changed the oil yesterday. It was really dirty, but generally looked okay. I guess I'll see if the oil pressure is still really low once the Jeep is back on the road. Also, I guess I'm going to have to come up with a name, as typing "the Jeep" is getting old....

Went to check the front axle gear oil, found what looked an awful lot like a chocolate milkshake So I pulled the diff cover and drained the fluid. While I had it off, I thought I should clean it up and paint it, so I did. I left it to dry overnight, although in this heat and humidity, it may still be wet for all I know. After that, I chased the problem in the wipers some more, then called it a day and went inside to hydrate and cool off.

For this week, the schedule includes putting the cover back on and adding oil and I guess peeling off the rear axle cover and changing that oil just to be safe. I'm still pissed at Jeep for not putting a fill/inspection hole on the AMC 20 though.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Further Jeep Stuff Update

Front axle oil has been changed and then found to be leaking....badly. Apparently I did a miserable job on the permatex. Pulled the jeep back in to the carport this weekend, drained the new oil and redid the gasket material. I'm waiting 24 hrs for it to cure, then I'm going to add oil and see what happens. Anyone know the torque spec for the front diff cover bolts offhand?

Checked the rear axle this weekend. It was a little low and dirty, but no enough to make me excited about fighting to reach the bolts on the top of the diff cover, so I filled the axle and left it...for now. Definitely going to drain it and clean off the diff cover before hunting season starts, just not yesterday. Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm going to replace the stupid Torx head bolts that are still holding on the cover.

The main news was that I finally have windshield wipers! After several afternoons of chasing the problem, I finally pulled the old motor and replaced it with the new one the PO had thrown in. After testing the new motor, I swapped the 4 wires in the exact opposite order that they had been wired in, and the motor worked like magic. It parked, it had low and it had high, which was a significant improvement from one speed that never stops.

For this week and weekend, still need to wire the horn, or at least a temp horn so I can get a new inspection sticker, oil in the front end, and hopefully get the hardtop off so I can enjoy a top-off drive on Friday.
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
lacpa
1986 CJ7 

Well, I'm happy to report that I now have a leak free front differential. Had great weather (for south Louisiana), it was only 92 or so and relatively low humidity this weekend, so I was able to drive the CJ with the doors off. I was too lazy to take the hard top off, but it was nice to drive it.

Added a few things to the "to-do" list. Still need a horn and an inspection sticker, need to fix the turn signals so they turn off after completing a turn, and I would really like to get to the front axle bearings to make sure they aren't full of grit and mud before I do a lot of driving. Think I may tackle that this weekend and try to get it done before hunting and football seasons really get started.

I have noticed that running down the road at 65 pulls the temp up to 190-ish. Doesn't seem to go any higher than that, so I am going to hope it isn't running too hot. Anyone know what the temp should be? I seem to remember my Scrambler ran around 190 as well, but it's been a few years and I can't remember exactly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.