Further Jeep Stuff Update
Front axle oil has been changed and then found to be leaking....badly. Apparently I did a miserable job on the permatex. Pulled the jeep back in to the carport this weekend, drained the new oil and redid the gasket material. I'm waiting 24 hrs for it to cure, then I'm going to add oil and see what happens. Anyone know the torque spec for the front diff cover bolts offhand?
Checked the rear axle this weekend. It was a little low and dirty, but no enough to make me excited about fighting to reach the bolts on the top of the diff cover, so I filled the axle and left it...for now. Definitely going to drain it and clean off the diff cover before hunting season starts, just not yesterday. Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm going to replace the stupid Torx head bolts that are still holding on the cover.
The main news was that I finally have windshield wipers! After several afternoons of chasing the problem, I finally pulled the old motor and replaced it with the new one the PO had thrown in. After testing the new motor, I swapped the 4 wires in the exact opposite order that they had been wired in, and the motor worked like magic. It parked, it had low and it had high, which was a significant improvement from one speed that never stops.
For this week and weekend, still need to wire the horn, or at least a temp horn so I can get a new inspection sticker, oil in the front end, and hopefully get the hardtop off so I can enjoy a top-off drive on Friday.