Axles; what prices for various levels of upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Axles; what prices for various levels of upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Axles; what prices for various levels of upgrade?

I have a 1984 CJ7 amc 150 with t5 transmission. I am in the process of rebuilding a amc 360 with a t176 transmission. I would like to look at options for my Axles. I believe they are 20 and 30's. I would like to know what options I have. I would like to add a 4 inch suspension lift and do everything right. I have read about 44's but I'm really confused about it. I plan on having this as my daily driving but I will be off roading on weekends. Eventually just for weekends but I need it for my DD right now. What would my options be at different price levels. mid range and expensive (I don't want a cheap option just do it right).

Thanks,

Chris

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Honestly, do you feel you need to upgrade the axles? I ask as most of the 4 cyl CJs come with 4.10 gears in the axles, so if your doing a motor/transmission swap anyway, add the lift and tires and call it done. You'll have a good DD and still be good off road. Now if you want lockers, etc...Thats another story, but you have the axles and gears, so your way ahead of the game. For reference, I had a late CJ with 33s, the 258/T-5/dana300 and 4.10s in stock dana 30 and Model 20 rear with detroit in rear and true trac in front. I swapped in a 6 bolt front hub and had no troubles off road. It worked very well. Now for larger tires or selectable lockers, I would want the 44s. but in your case.....?

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

i'm a fan of a D60 in the rear, it can handle a lot of abuse. you cn find the pretty cheap, like 200-500 but then you need to shorten it. if you can do that yourself still cheap, a shop $$. a set of new shafts and your good to go.
in the front a D44 is good, really how often are you in 4wd anyways. most chevy axles work or one from a waggy or you can buy a new one from a mag with all the goodies in it.

i'm gonna build my on front D44 and rear D60 behind a ford 351w T-176 and D300 to run 37-38.5's
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
CSP

How can anyone recommend an axle without one mention of tire size?

The Dana 60 comes in several varieties, so a blanket statement about them handling abuse is very shortsighted.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
x2. If the OP is only planning on 33's max then the stock axles will probably be fine with a minor upgrades (one piece axles...). But if 37's are in the future then the upgrade is probably necessary.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjensen View Post
i'm a fan of a D60 in the rear, it can handle a lot of abuse. you cn find the pretty cheap, like 200-500 but then you need to shorten it. if you can do that yourself still cheap, a shop $$. a set of new shafts and your good to go.
in the front a D44 is good, really how often are you in 4wd anyways. most chevy axles work or one from a waggy or you can buy a new one from a mag with all the goodies in it.

i'm gonna build my on front D44 and rear D60 behind a ford 351w T-176 and D300 to run 37-38.5's
wish i lived where this guy did cause 60's around here are at least $900 plus you'll need to rebuild them. i have a rebuilt 360 with mild cam and running stock axles for now with 2.73 gears and as long as i stay out of the throttle some they've held up fine. i think the amc20 rear with one piece axles would hold up pretty well for daily driver and weekend wheeler unless you plan on rock crawling. you could upgrade your front axle shafts if you're worried about it. if you're swapping the front axle and using a 4 inch lift you'll need an axle with spring perches underneath the housing.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

There were several things I took into consideration on axles myself. I looked at it like this. If I want to install lower gears and a locker then why spend that money on the dana 20 and 30 when they will need to be upgraded down the road anyway. With a V-8 there's a good chance you'll spin the 2 pc. axles in the 20, seen several happen that way. If you want to run the stock axles as they are fine but I'd switch to something else if you want lower gears and lockers now. Good choices are the dana 44 & 60. The Ford 9" is also a good axle and rivals the strenght of the 60 if you run the 34 spline shafts. Bad thing about the Ford is that OX locker doesn't make anything for them so that narrows down the selectable locker on them.

Also how much money are you willing to spend? Dynatrac and Currie can set you up very nicely but it'll cost a pretty penny.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Some more info about tire size and type of offroading you plan to do would be a big help here.
I run 33's and still have my 20 and 30 although I have 1 piece axles in the rear and alloy axles in the front. They have held up well for many years now with the type of wheeling we have around here.
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

I've got a 360 with a mild cam, T150 3 speed and I run a D44 rear and D30 front with 3.73s. Both axles are 100% stock (from a '73 CJ6). When I first swapped the motor (before the rebuild and cam) I had the original D30 front and AMC 20 rear with Moser shafts and 3.54s. The 20 only lasted 2 weeks. Grenaded the spider gears doing a burnout with 33s. I drive the D44 the same way and have had no problems.

The stock axles will get you around if you're easy on the gas and don't go over 33s. If you upgrade I would look into a D44 front (wagoneer, scout, or narrowed Chevy) and for the rear either a D44 (wagoneer, scout) or Ford 9". D60s are strong, but unless you run big tires, you're going to lose a lot of ground clearance.
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Hi Guys i'm sorry about not mentioning tire size. I currently have 31 and i'm thinking 33's as what I want. As I plan in rebuilding the engine i'm planning on doing a full resto on the jeep from the frame up. So i've been writting down lots of notes of everything that I want and plan on not cutting corners if it takes me a while it does but at least I know it will be done right with what I want.
Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If you're never going bigger than 33's then just stick with the stock axles. The D30 can easily handle 33's and a set of 1 pc shafts for the M20 and you should never have any issues (especially if it'll end up being a weekend wheeler seeing mild to moderate trails). If you see yourself doing any rock wheeling and adding lockers, I'd go for the D44's. A locked D30 in the rocks could be asking for trouble.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alloy axles , alloy shafts , axle , axle housing , axle upgrade , dana 30 , dana 44 , dana 60

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.