Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Axles/gears...which ones to buy?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  BlueRubiconrich 
#1 ·
I plan on changing soon to 32" or 33" tires at the most. Currently I've got 2.73 gearing in my 83 CJ right now with a T5 trans which I know is a bad combo with a taller tire. I was quoted $1300 to regear to 3:73 or 4:10.:nuts:

SO, I figure it would be cheaper to look for some used axles to swap in instead, since the thought of swapping gears scares me.:fear:

The question I have is what axles to look for that will swap right in??? What vehicles do they come from?
:dunno: And what price should I expect to pay?

#2 ·
Any axle from 82-86 cj will swap right in. They will be AMC 20 in rear and Dana 30 in front. Believe that tail end of 86 used Dana 44's?? All you have to do is find the front and rears with gears u want and go from there.

#3 ·
I had a similar question earlier today. I also have a dana 30/amc 20 set-up with 2.73s. Way too tall IMO, especially with taller tires. Re-gearing is expensive.

So I started searching craigslist. 30 minutes later I found a complete set of axles that were recently swapped out of a regularly driven 85 CJ-7. They are Dana 30/AMC 20 one piece that are 3.73s. I bought them for 75 bucks and pick them up this week. I recommend going that route and saving a ton of money.

#6 ·
I had a similar question earlier today. I also have a dana 30/amc 20 set-up with 2.73s. Way too tall IMO, especially with taller tires. Re-gearing is expensive.

So I started searching craigslist. 30 minutes later I found a complete set of axles that were recently swapped out of a regularly driven 85 CJ-7. They are Dana 30/AMC 20 one piece that are 3.73s. I bought them for 75 bucks and pick them up this week. I recommend going that route and saving a ton of money.
Now that was a deal!!!!!!!! I'm never that lucky, with one piece axles to booth.

There is another thread (or a google) that gives the stampings on the AMC20 rear for what ratio was inside when delivered from the factory. The Dana 30 is also stamped on the axle tube. At least this will tell you what you are looking at.

Hey Diddy do you want to make a quick $50 and double your money?

#5 ·
What vehicles do they come from?......only one, a CJ. Nothing else will "swap right in". All the other axles you might find will require fabrication of some kind. Some minor, some extensive. As stated, your best bet is to ht up the classifieds and look for a M20/D30 combo with the gears you want.

#10 ·
an IH Scout will get ou Dana 44s front and rear. The rear is like 95% bolt in, but the front has no castor so you will need shims or cut, rotate, and reweld the inner C's.

I have a pair outside and from the little measuring I have done I could probably bolt that D44 up in a day if I wanted to. But I am regearing to 4:56, making a 4.7L stroker, AX15, and coil springing the front :laugh:

Ben
Gotcha...not looking to fabricate though.

#11 ·
I did my axles and went with 4.88's.on the trail they are awesome,as soon as you hit the street they suck.I wish I went with 4.10's and then did the 4 lo swamp in the transfer case.I would bet with 33's if you could find a set of axles with 3.73's then did a 4 lo swap you would have the best of both worlds.Just my .02

#12 ·
There are two versions of T5. One has a 0.76 ratio 5th gear and the other has a 0.86 ratio 5th gear. With 33s and the 0.76 version 4.30s are the way to go. With the 0.86 ratio 5th and 33s you would want 3.73s. This is if you do much highway driving. You can change both of those up one notch if you are mostly off road.

For 32s with the 0.86 5th I would stay with 3.73s but with the 0.76 5th gear I would go with 4.10s.

The 0.86 5th gear is the most common T5. You can find Scout rear axles with 3.54, 3.73, 4.10 and 4.27 gears. I have seen all of these locally over the years. The only thing you have to do to put a Scout Dana 44 on the back of a CJ is to move the spring perches. I don't call that fabrication. It's a 15 minute welding job once you decide what you want for a pinion angle.

#13 ·
Well I'm happy for you that a rear axle swap is a 15 minute job :p....for most it isn't.

The OP wanted a front and rear set that he can "swap right in". Sure, a scout rear swap is a pretty easy thing to accomplish if you find one with the right gearing.......but the scout front is far from easy to do properly so that leaves him with a set of axles with mismatched ratios unless he pays to regear the front he has.

In reality, thats probably the way to go as buying a scout rear with the gears he wants will be cheaper than getting the M20 regeared (and there is no direct swap for the front). But sticking strictly to what the original question was there is no "fab-less" fix, other than another M20/D30, that will yield a front and rear with matched gearing different than what he has now.

#18 ·
I've been told that 4 bangers often have 4.10s, but that is not what I've found. My 82 Scrambler 4 cylinder has 3.31s. Oh well.

#19 ·
Find the right wide track Dana 30 front end with the gears you want
3.54,3:73 4.10

find a matching Scout 2 rear end with the same gears have a buddy
weld the perches on the rear axle call it a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.