axles and drivetrain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > axles and drivetrain

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 08-16-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
eeswanson

axles and drivetrain

I have a 76' jeep dj - postal jeep and I am turning it into a 4x4
CJ5 pretty much.

Now, I was wondering what your opinions are on front and rear axles to put in it, same with the tranny and t-case? I will either keep the straight six or put a chevy smallblock in it......

I want to put a manual tranny in it.

This will be a daily driver but I will be doing some off-roading
with it( muddin, trailriding, try rock crawling) ......

SO, If you guys have any ideas on what would be the best setup
please help out.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!

eeswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

If it was me i would find a late model CJ5 frame. That way the drivetrain is already there. Drop your motor in, put your body on, with the long fenders, bolt up the grille and your ready to go.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 12:33 AM   #3
ImNotRyan

JP magazine (yeah shutup ) is doing a DJ project, looks like a D44 front, a ford 9" rear, the frame is totally modified and the body is about 3 inches off it.

I have no problem with aged daily drivers - but seriously, are you going to depend solely on a 76 DJ in the process of converting to 4x4?

If it were me, my daily driver setup would run a 5.0 HO/NP435/Dana 300... 44 front, 9" rear locked, and atleast 35's.

with that setup, and driving smart, you should be able to have fun out there, and not worry about breaking. Daily drivers have to be BIGGER and meaner than most rigs b/c they have to get you back out in a timely fashion, and be ready for highway the next day.

I need that on the road to work everyday... but if you even think about climbing rocks, save yourself years of trouble and do it right the first time.

the 5.0 is readily available, its parts are readily available, its design is simple, performance should never be an issue, cost surely will never be an issue, its EFI system is easy to set up and work on, and its the most reliable motor i can think of.
The NP435 is also very common, cheap, simple, easy... and it bolts to the 5.0
the Dana300 will require an adapter, but i dont need to sing its praises here.
in any axle, remember you can unlock the front hubs and your front locker "dissapears" onroad. Get whatever rear locker you feel comfortable with. The reason i suggest a locker on a daily driver (with proper sized axles) is that they will help you not push your rig too hard. You can go slower, and crawl around... rather than continually nailing an obstacle, getting stuck in mud, and stressing your vehicle out more trying to recover from the "stuck"

Good luck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.