axles for a CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > axles for a CJ5

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-15-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
soler

axles for a CJ5

Will 1985 cherokee axles work on my 58 willys? Are they strong enough for some power?

soler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
CSP

The front diff is on the wrong side for your Willy's. The rear one is also centered and you need an offset axle in the rear. Dana 44's from any '74-79 Wagoneer would work much better.

Whether they work with "power" depends on how much power you're talking about. It also depends on gearing and tire size.

Do a little searching on CJ axle swaps on one of the search engine websites and you'll find all sorts of info.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
TheJeepGod

i agree with the 74-79 axles. but the wagoneers were often geared high (3.73 or higher) you might be able to find some with at least 4.88, but if you want the 5.38's that your '58 had youll probably have to swap gears.
2001 Cherokee 60th Anniversary
2007 WK CRD
TheJeepGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
rustyCJ

your transfer case front output in on the passenger side, the rear output is also on the passenger side directly behind the front output. you are going to need a front axle with the pumpkin on the passenger side and a rear with the diff offset to the passenger side.

there are really only 4 ways you could go bout getting new axles
1. pull some from something like a waggy
2. get some fullsize truck axles and cut um down to size offseting the rear to the passenger side
3. buy my offset narrowtrack AMC20 rear and my narrowtrack dana30 front
4. buy some brand new custom made axles

i personnally feel the 3rd option is best.......lol
Unread 05-16-2003, 08:20 AM   #5
soler

ok im biting

How much? Pm me
soler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
rustyCJ

i not going to ship these so you would have to pick um up. i am in central IL, still interested?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.