Axle U-Joint Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Axle U-Joint Question

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 05-20-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
TG CJ7

Axle U-Joint Question

Im trying to replace the axle U-Joints in an '84 CJ. Im having trouble removing the locknuts on the axle so that I can remove the hub. I tried channel lock pliers and I dont have a large enough socket. Im sure lots of you guys have replaced the U-Joints before. What is the trick to those locknuts?

There are supposed to be two, Im on number one.

Thanks
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
magicmudder

Yeah, there are two of them. I went out and bought a socket from sears for $20 to take them off, but they didn't have hardly any torque on them at all. Make sure you've bent the tab back first (on the washer behind the nuts that keeps them in place) and you should be able to gently hit one corner with a punch to get the nut to turn or you could go buy a socket
Unread 05-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
rustyCJ

three words: spindle nut socket, 4wd hardware has them for $9.99 and anything under $10 is free shipping and they ship priority. i couldnt find the right size at any local autoparts stores. you could always use the redneck approach, a screwdriver and hammer.
Unread 05-21-2003, 09:10 AM   #4
CSP

Like rusty said, get the right socket. You'll have a helluva time getting the bearing preload correct when re-installing them without one. The correct size is 2-3/32". I bought mine from 4WD Hardware.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
TG CJ7

Okay that axle is out. Thanks a lot.
Now how do I go about replacing the axle u-joint? They'er not like a driveshaft U-joint; they seem to have caps on the end of them. Is that a cap or part of the u-joint?
I see they have C-clips on the bottom that look like they hold the u-joint in place. I did remove those.
Agian, thanks for your help.
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
rustyCJ

try reading this:

U-joints
Unread 05-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
CoryB

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyCJ
try reading this:

U-joints
In a perfect world, they might work like that. The joints on my 84 CJ7, however, were a different story. The writeup about my foray into axle-u-joint-land is here.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 01:16 PM   #8
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by CoryB

In a perfect world, they might work like that.
actually in a perfect world someone who is about to change out their axle u-joints realizes they might be pretty rusty if they need changed so they start soaking them with penetrating oil everyday for a few days before they attempt it so they dont have to use a 60ton press and risk damaging the shafts. <-- thats a really long run-on sentence......lol

i havent ever tried doing it the way the link i posted does it. i built a press just for axle u-joints. doesnt take nothing to remove and install ujoints if you have the right tools. the link was posted because not everyone has access to a u-joint or 60ton press and it details how they go in and come out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.