is axle shaft to short to be used? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > is axle shaft to short to be used?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

View Poll Results: Is .68" of gear contact enough?
Yes, it should last for years. 1 33.33%
No, you need to spend a bunch more money for a new one. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Builder77sDad
1983 CJ7 

is axle shaft to short to be used?

I am completing the '83 CJ7 build my son started. He had a salvaged Dana44 axle which I had shortened and then I ordered a custom length chrome/moly steel axle shaft from AlloyUSA. My measurements were off. It was 3/8" too long for the spindle to mount on the knuckle. I shortened it using a lathe and a hacksaw. That metal is tough to cut, especially the outer layer! It again seemed too short and I cut another 1/4" off, this time spinning it on the lathe but using a grinder with a cut off blade and finishing with a hacksaw. Much faster and still a clean cut. Now I think I didn't push the shaft it all the way past the oil seal when I checked its length, as it is now a bit short. There is only .68" of gear contact, judging from oil marks on the splines. Looking at other axle shafts, there seems to be about 1.2" of contact normally.

My question is whether .68" of gear contact is enough, or if I have to buy another axle shaft. I have written the company, but would like to learn from the experience of others. The CJ7 will go off road, but nothing too radical.

Thanks, Robert

img_1670.jpg   img_1672.jpg  
Builder77sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
CJ_Tiz
1983 CJ7 

thats a good one... I say run it till something breaks.

[COLOR="Navy"]USN HULL #133[/COLOR]
CJ_Tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Move the inner C in enough to make up the difference. Running a shaft with that little bit of contact area is asking for trouble down the road. Do it right once and be done. Something to remember, the front shaft actually moves in and out a bit as you turn, and will decrease the contact area even more.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Builder77sDad
1983 CJ7 

I'll play it safe, wanting the Jeep to be as good as I can make it. I ordered another inner axle shaft, which should arrive today!
Builder77sDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.