axle shaft came out of 80 cj7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
slymongoose
1980 CJ7 

axle shaft came out of 80 cj7

so i was driving up a hill on the farm the other day, when i suddenly realized i was not going anywhere. i looked out and saw my front tires spinning; looked back and my back tire was not doing anything. about that time i noticed my back side passenger tire fall off out of the corner of my eye.
when i got out and walked around the jeep, i was surprised to find my tire with the axle still attached .... i was even more surprised to find out this was a common problem....

so i've looked on the forum, and i think i understand what happened. the bearing gave out and the axle shot out, forcing its way through the retainer plate.

a few pictures to illustrate:

so that's what i am looking at.
i guess i need some kind of a puller to get the drive flange hub off the axle??

and how do i get this retainer out of the shaft to get the old bearing parts out? is it pressed on?

and when i get it off....how do i go about putting new retainer on?

i have ordered Crown Automotive Jeep 3150046K Axle Bearing And Seal Kit
what else do i need (besides some good luck for a change?)

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2015, 04:09 PM
cardiffclimber
1981 CJ7 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you need a new axle, as well. And from what I've read on this forum, stay away from the crown kit. I believe you can still buy the axles individually. Do you already have the new retainer plate?

"Rule #9.1: Never go anywhere without a jeep."
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM
60Bubba

1983 CJ7 

I would agree that your axle is toast. Are you interested in going to a one piece axle kit? It would cost a little more, but I think you would be better off in the long run. Also, those kits have pretty decent directions and come with the bearings and seals (the outer seal is part of the retainer plate on the one piece kit).

Rust-free 1983 CJ-7. 4.0L, T-5, OME YJ springs, frame-off resto in 2014. Rhino Liner on all non-painted surfaces and 2012 Jeep Cosmos Blue paint.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Cashcrazy

1983 CJ7 

Before I went with one piece shafts I bought the Crown kit that was about $25 and it came with Timken bearings. The Crown kit you ordered will be fine.

The puller you mentioned can be found on eBay and looks like this.

The shaft does look like it encountered a fair amount of galling. It's hard to tell in the picture but if it's bad in person I would find a replacement so the new bearing doesn't do the same. You can probably find a used narrow track shaft very reasonable or new ones are still available.

The "retainer" left in the axle tube looks to be the race. It might come out with a puller or a slide hammer with the right attachment would pop it right out.

1982 CJ7(sold), 1983 CJ7(sold), 1989 YJ(sold), 1983 CJ7 undergoing frame-off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.