Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Axle rebuild $$

996 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jfwireless 
#1 ·
I am at the point in my resto to have my axles built. I have bought new 4.11's for each (Dana30 & AMC20), seal kits & 1 piece axles. Can you guys give me an estimate on how much it's going to cost to have old axles pulled apart , new seals pressed in, ring & pinions set up, etc?? Need to know how much $ to save.

Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
Call around your area. I've seen everything from $200-600/per just for the gear install.

#6 ·
I just installed one piece axles in my AMC 20 rear. No need to pull axles apart, just remove all four bolts on the axle flange and pull everything out. Anybody can do this. Just cut the old bearing and bearing retainer off and remove brake backing plates, seals and protective guard from the back side of the assembly. Than just take your new axles and all the parts down to the shop and have the new bearings pressed on. This cost me $20 for both AMC axles. Pulling the old axles apart will take 20-25 tons of force and there is no need to do this.

Just follow the directions for installing the new axles in the rear. You will most likely need a digital micrometer to make the bearing measurement, and you may have to remove the thrust block in the rear to get the axles to fit on both sides. With one piece axles you no longer have any use for the thrust block.

If you are not comfortable than take it to a shop, but you may also have to pay them for pulling the carrier out of the rear to be able to remove the thrust block. make sure you get a price for this if needed.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.