Axle parts help needed, D30 86' busted, friend offering parts for a TJ/LJ D30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Axle parts help needed, D30 86' busted, friend offering parts for a TJ/LJ D30

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Axle parts help needed, D30 86' busted, friend offering parts for a TJ/LJ D30

Folks, well I went and busted up the D30 wheeling. Bound to happen I suppose.

Working on replacing the front hubs now, and decided to do u-joints while it's torn down.

I broke the bolts that hold the hubs together, and thought that was the main issue.

Drained the diff to get that done also, and pulled the cover and chunks of spider gear rolled out.

Goal is to use the D30 as long as I can at minimal repair cost.

A friend as offered a LP D30 set of gears from a LJ with the same 3.73 ratio.

1. Does it matter what it came from as long as the ratio is correct?

2. If the spider gears are broken, (well 1 is and the other is chipped) should the r&p be replaced as caution since we are in there?

3. What if the r&p appear ok?

4. My friend with the lightly used gears has offered a TJ/WJ D30 full bearing, cone set. With this work on my CJ D30 while I have it torn down?

Trying to sort all this out, but thought I would ask the knowledge base here also.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by Blthomas; 10-10-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
CSP

Pretty sure that the later 30's have a different pinion depth and use a crush sleeve instead of shims for pinion bearing preload.

You could look up part numbers for ring/pinions for the years and models of vehicles and compare them to part numbers for a CJ to verify at www.ring-pinion.com
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Yes, TJ LP D30's have a thicker ring.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Really.. a decent plan for you would be to find an entire Dana 30 (widetrack if that's what's on your jeep) that has the same gears. You'd end up paying way less and it will bolt right in.. Dana 30s are all over the place and are not hard to find on Craigslist.
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

BLT,
i have a set of spiders and spacers that i changed out of mine when i thought i had too much lash. (ok i was a noob). more then welcome to them for a 12 pack.... that and braving 29 to the other side of c'ville. shoot me a PM if your interested.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.