Axle, gear, and suspention help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Axle, gear, and suspention help needed

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
BDP72
1986 CJ7 

Axle, gear, and suspention help needed

I bought a 86 cj7 back at the first of the year. The engine had a little miss and carb stumble pretty bad , so I done the rush upgrade ( and found it to be out of time) and installed a weber 38 on it, and got it running great. Then my t999 went from working to not working ( dropped the pan to fine peaces of metal all in it) I've been plaining a total rebuild every since I got it, so I have decided to let it set until I got the funds saved up. I plan on using it as somewhat of a daily driver but also want to get into some trail riding . When I start my build I plan on taking it down to the frame ( just to let everyone to know this is my first offroad build) and reworking the old suspension . So question 1 what would be the best way to go? A. Back with stock type of lift
B. using a conversion kit and going with YJ lift
C. Or retro fitting an long arm under it
Question 2
From what I have read the axles under the cj are one of the weakest links, so what is the best way to beff them up? Do I need to just replace the axles or housing and all? P.S. would like to use ARB air lockers
Question 3
I plan on using 35"to 37" tires and rebuilding the t999 so what gears do I need ?
Question 4
(Now here's where it gets interesting) like I said before my t999 went out and have been thinking of building a 383 stroker with a power glide tranny. If I do this what advantages would I have ( besides the HP) if any, and then what about the gears?
I'm just in the planning stages, I'm hoping to have enough funds to start in Jan or feb 2014. All info will be very helpfully

BDP72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
nixer600

With 35-37 I would look bigger axles.

A narrow track grand wagoner would be a decent swap. 44 front with a wagoner specific amc20 rear. (Your wheel bolt pattern will change)

Or depending on terrain that will be wheeled, jump to Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, or 70 rear.

Tip if you ask to many questions in one thread you will sometimes get 0 answers.

What terrain will you be on? since you are already thinking more hp one day you will probably have more HP so build for it now. You don't want axles to hold up to what you have the add HP then have week axles. Build once and right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
nixer600

I went with Yj springs because of budget, but I want coils.

To me leaves are less than perfect but good enough for me. If you go bigger axles you will have to ditch the front cj7 springs because they are only 2 wide most other vehicles are 2.5" wide. Like Yj and grand wagoners and 1tons

Unread 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
BDP72
1986 CJ7 

Sorry for all the question but Im trying to learn as much as I can before I start. As for as the terrain I live in the southeast about 1 hour west of hawk pride mountain, we have rock hills, clay hills,and swampy bottoms
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
nixer600

Honestly you could get away with a built up 44 axles or you could snag a set of tons.

Built 44s will cost you more than a stock set of tons. 37 on stock tons. On rocks will be plenty strong.

Built 44 on rocks = strong enough. But get bound up and something will break for sure.

If you can source Tons cheap in your area I would say go that route and look for good gearing 4.56 or lower and that will help with build cost as well. I have a slow moving cj7 build thread on here where I changed my mind a few times if ya care to read. A stock Dana 60 is strong than a built 44 and a 14 is way stronger than a 60. I would look at the 13 bolt conversion cover.

Unread 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
BDP72
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the help. I'm work in industrial maintenance and hopefully the next couple of nights we will have some down time and I'll need something to read,so I'll look up your thread
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I would look more into a 700r4 rather than a 2 speed glide espically if you want to tom it up and down the road. Deep gears and a 2 speed doesn't make for a very streetable ride
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
BDP72
1986 CJ7 

Sorry got the trannys confused (never messed with them to b honest) but turbo is the one I want.
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

The th 400 is a good stout tranny I run one behind my 304 and have had no problems
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.