Awful sound when turning jeep off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Awful sound when turning jeep off

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awful sound when turning jeep off

Whenever i turn my cj off after i have been exerting it a little, it almost sounds like its trying to start back up again. After about 4 seconds it sounds like pressure gets released then it stops. Its sort of scary. Any ideas? thanks

Aduffy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aduffy32 View Post
Whenever i turn my cj off after i have been exerting it a little, it almost sounds like its trying to start back up again. After about 4 seconds it sounds like pressure gets released then it stops. Its sort of scary. Any ideas? thanks
Based upon the amount on information you have provided us about your Jeep's setup ..... motor, trany, modifications ?

No idea!

Help us, so we might help you.
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The motor has been rebuilt by performance powertrain about 5,000 miles ago , and I believe I have a stock 5 spd transmission. I also have a MSD ignition box, and an upgraded clifford carb, and an electric fuel pump. Sory about the lack of information before
Aduffy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Might want to check for air leaks around the manifold.
Also, with electric fuel pumps, it's nice to run a switch into the relay so you can shut off fuel before you kill the ignition. I'd also want a kill switch on the MSD, but that's more of a security thing with me.
Still not sure what motor your running, but some ideas for you to chase.
Al least you're not dieseling.
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

I had something similar in my stock '74 CJ5 with the 258 in it. I lowered my idle speed and re-set the timing. I also added in the vacuum advance. That has seemed to fix my problems.

To me it does sound like you are dieseling. To me it sounds like you are firing little by little still after you shut the key off and then finally it dies and backfires a little through the carb. Next time you shut it off, try to pull the choke as you shut it off and see if it doesn't do it. That used to work for me some, not really a fix, but then I knew it was something with the carb. I attributed it to my high idle and incorrect timing causing fuel to get sucked out of the carb and hot spots in the cylinder to fire the fuel off.

Scott
Scuter83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
CSP

Sounds like run-on to me. It's either a problem with timing that's too far advanced or hot spots in the cylinders.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fatman,
Why do you say he's not dieseling? That is what it sounds like to me. Also known as run-on. If I have my timing off, it will diesel. Sounds just like it is trying to stay running. The hotter the engine, the more it does it. I tweaked my timing, and it completely cured it. Engine was a 258, and recently rebuild just like OP's.

Higher octane gas will help alot, especially with a lot of advance.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Maybe your hampsters have bad gas????

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Dieseling sounds more like dead chug or run-on. Much like you see when you have an automatic trans.
I interpreted his "Awful sound" as post ignition detonation. Air leak and un-burnt fuel.
Agree timing advance is playing a role here.
Unread 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would want some more details of the noise and 'run on' maybe before guessing.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.