avalanche engineering outboard kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > avalanche engineering outboard kit

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-04-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
demtjcj

avalanche engineering outboard kit

has anybody seen or used this kit. i am not exactly sure what it is or how it works. it says it helps install full width axles on to your cj. but i didnt understand how exactly it worked. if anybody knows let me know. thanks www.avalancheenge.com

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2002, 07:51 PM   #2
Gator

your passenger side Shackle mounts stays under the frame like from the Factory... the driver side gets moved on the outside of the frame < to match the Spring perches & Springs will match> instead of moving the springs on the axle to match the springs

the rear... same thing, the spring mounts & shackles, gets moved to the outboard side of the frame rails... to match the spring perches on the axles
main reasoning for this.. Stability ... the wider the mounting surfaces for the springs the more stable it is , along with full width axles
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2002, 08:20 PM   #3
demtjcj

so basically it would be a good invested and easy investment if you had full width axles that you wanted to mount on your jeep.

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
Unread 11-04-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
CSP

Gator both sides get outboarded. I work with the guys at Avalanche and know their products very well.

The idea behind it is spring perch placement. Both Chevy truck and full size Jeep axles have the springs at 31.5" apart, measured at the centering pins. Stock CJ frame rails are 27.5" apart. The outboard spring mounts provide a place to mount the springs so that the fullsize axles do not have to be modified. This kit incorporates a shackle reversal also and allows many different length springs to be used.

demtjcj it's a good alternative if you want some flexibility in your spring choice. It's also good if you don't have the tools or fabrication skills to make your own outboard spring mounts. It's not cheap in comparison to making your own, but it's a good alternative to the non-fabricator.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
Gator

Oops... thanks CSP
friend of mine done a Yj pretty much the same way... forgot the Yj's have a wider frame
he put 1 ton chevy running gear under it...

its Amazing tho how Avalanche Engineering has some good products... but some of them other people make & put AE's name on them... mainly the Trail Ready Bead Locks , they're Military tires they run, they get from USA 6x6 in Lawton Ok, Axles they get from Boyce Equipment < mostly 2.5 Ton Rockwells>
however they do produce some cool rigs
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2002, 11:55 AM   #6
CSP

Yeah there are a few things that they farm out. It's cost effective that way. To set up a shop to build some of the things (like the axles) would be very prohibitively expensive. Items like the corner guards and rocker protectors come from a fab shop that builds that kind of stuff everyday and already had the equipment. They are build to Avalanche's specs though. The beadlocks are built by TrailReady, but are a step up from the TrailReady line. The bolts are 3/8" vs 5/16", they are countersunk vs surface mount, and have more bolts. At first glance they just look like TR's with the Avalanche name milled into them, but there are differences you don't notice right away. That's pretty typical of any product they farm out. It has to be a bit better grade. Most of the daily activity in both of the Avalanche shops is geared towards building the rock buggies and tube chassis, not in bolt on products.
Unread 11-05-2002, 05:16 PM   #7
demtjcj

CSP thanks so much. just one other question. are these brackets welded on. not a problem just wondering. also you said you could use any spring. basically i could use a yj spring to get a little more length out of the spring. thanks so much for the help

Unread 11-05-2002, 06:55 PM   #8
CSP

The bracket that the front of the springs attaches to is bolt on. The rear bracket is weld on.

The kit is designed for 2.5" wide springs which is the width of YJ front springs. CJ fronts are 2" and will work with spacers. YJ springs really aren't that much different in length than CJ fronts. The thing about YJ springs is they are flat and don't hold up well to the flex this kit will allow. You'll also lose a little bit of lift vs CJ springs because they are flat. My suggestion is to use CJ rear springs on all four corners of your Jeep. These things really work well in a spring over application (assuming you're going spring over) and flex like mad. JC Whitney sells new 7-leaf spring packs for a very reasonable price.
Unread 11-05-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
demtjcj

so the difference between a front and rear spring on a cj wont matter. just use rear ones. i was planning on a spring over setup. is this kit designed for a spring over setup. also is there any where else that you have seen a tech article on this other than there website. i get jp, 4WD AND SPORT UTILITY, peterson, and four wheeler every month and have never seen any tech on this product. thanks again

Unread 11-05-2002, 10:56 PM   #10
CSP

The kit is can be used either for spring over or under. Full size Chevy, Ford, and Dodge axles are already set up for spring over and fullsize Jeep and Scout are setup for spring under. That's just some useless info I threw out though. Either type can be used for the other configuration with some work.

I don't know of any magazine writeups on it. I do know that a few months ago Clifton (owner of Av. in Denver) was looking for a subject vehicle to document the installation of the kit for a magazine. I can call him and ask if an article has been published or if it's still in the works. I would bet that one could be expected shortly in JP.
Unread 11-06-2002, 03:49 PM   #11
demtjcj

thanks csp if you here of any article let me know. thanks for all of the information.

Unread 11-09-2002, 06:35 AM   #12
Gr8lite

Check out these pics this is a outboard we made ourselves! really simple!

Unread 11-09-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
CSP

demtjcj I was at Avalanche Thursday and they told me that no articles have been written about it yet. The documentation that they did of an install was for the instructions included with the kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.