JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Automatic trans leaking while sitting for 6 weeks? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/automatic-trans-leaking-while-sitting-6-weeks-1537842/)

drespecki 06-17-2013 07:48 PM

Automatic trans leaking while sitting for 6 weeks?

Have my 83 CJ7 with the automatic parked in the garage for the last 6 weeks and everything is fine except for this past week.... All of a sudden there is a nice 6 inch round trans fluid leak on the ground and the vehicle has not been started or moved the entire time!

Now it has gotten VERY warm here in Tucson and perhaps the fluid expanded on its own and was forced out somehow?

Any ideas, tips, wisdom? The pan gasket is new, no leaks before but maybe now or perhaps the neutral safety switch where it it is threaded into the housing? DARN............

pman 06-17-2013 08:28 PM

From my experience over the years with leaky Jeep autos, when you have tranny fluid on the ground after sitting for a bit, it's coming from the Shift Shaft Seal. You should be able to visibly see the "wet" seepage if you get up under your rig and shine a light on it. Best thing to do is clean the area up as well as you can and let it sit. Better yet, drive it more often!! :D

drespecki 06-17-2013 10:34 PM

Arggghhh! I hope not....when the trans and motor were out, I replaced the shift shaft seal... time to get a small mirror and flashlight and poke around a little closer.

Can just the heat of a hot few days cause the fluid to swell ?

wellmax 06-18-2013 08:15 AM

chief,

its a jeep, its not leaking

its only marking its spot!!!!!!!!

just like all good jeeps,

a jeep that does not leak, be very suspect, very suspect, I say!!!!!

CSP 06-18-2013 08:32 AM

It's probably not fluid expanding, but slowly making its way out of the torque convertor and getting to a high enough level to reach the shifter shaft seal.

holliewood61 06-18-2013 08:36 AM

I had the same problem when I parked somewhere that the passenger side was lower than the drivers side ended up being the dipstick seal.

wm69 06-18-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellmax (Post 15575866)
a jeep that does not leak, be very suspect, very suspect, I say!!!!!

Yep, if it's not leaking somewhere it's because there's no fluid left to leak out!

drespecki 06-22-2013 01:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think I have it narrowed down.... I took some powder and puffed the area around the leak after I cleaned it up real good with mineral spirits in a spray bottle... After a few hours, I could see it oozing in a direction through the powder from the neutral safety switch. It APPEARS to be leaking straight through the body of the switch and coming out the end that the electrical connector hooks to...

New switch on order, hope it works!

86cj74.2L 06-22-2013 03:08 PM

Usually a leak like that from sitting is the little o-ring that goes around the dipstick tube.

drespecki 06-22-2013 04:25 PM

I carefully looked at that side and it is bone dry and it looks like the shift shaft seal on the drivers side is good also (I replaced that about 8 months ago)

86cj74.2L 06-22-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drespecki
I carefully looked at that side and it is bone dry and it looks like the shift shaft seal on the drivers side is good also (I replaced that about 8 months ago)

I thought the same thing on my cummins. Replacing the o-ring made the leak go away.

pman 06-22-2013 06:01 PM

Nice job cleaning up and putting the powder on. Hope the NSS replacement solves your leak!

The time now is 03:26 AM.