auto trans stuck in reverse... help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > auto trans stuck in reverse... help!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

auto trans stuck in reverse... help!!

Thought I'd post the question separately as I didn't think it would be quickly seen in my build thread...

I tool my CJ5 out today and put some good miles on it. However, and luckily, as I pulled back into the driveway I put it in park to go check the mail, and it started rolling backwards.

I then tried to put it back in park again and realized it wouldn't go into park, drive, neutral, etc, no matter what position I put it in. So I just made a quick turn round in reverse and backed it all the way up the drive and into the garage. ... and so it sits.

Looking underneath, the cable looks like it moves the linkage just fine, but I only took a quick look as I didn't want it to roll away from me.

I've tried to search for what the problem might be but haven't seen something that sounds like my issue. Where should I start with this? Any ideas as to what this might be? I'd like to start with the simple solutions and work out from there ...

Would greatly appreciate any help to get me started on this. Thanks in advance...

(BTW ... Ive got a Chevy SB 350 with an auto transmission and B&M cable shifter. Shifter has full range of motion but transmission only moves in reverse.)

-Scott

'81 CJ7 Rebuild ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1543726/
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Forgot to add ... with the engine shut down, I can roll the jeep as if it were in neutral. Am I missing something? Thanks again...

-Scott

Unread 12-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Bump .... anyone??

-Scott

Unread 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Is the shifter moving the linkage at the tranny?
With the shift linkage cable removed from the tranny, the wheels blocked to prevent movement, can the tranny linkage be moved by hand?
By linkage I meen the lever/arm on the transmission that came with the shifter, that the cable connects to.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

I haven't jacked the jeep up yet, but from what I can tell, yes, the shifter moves through it's full range of motion as well as the linkage and cable. ... grabbing some coffee and heading out to the garage now.

Thanks for chiming in, Bill!

-Scott

Unread 12-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

I realize I didn't specify before .... it's a Chevy 350 turbo auto transmission ...

-Scott

Unread 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Is your 4wd shifter in neutral? Is it full of fluid? I know these are basic questions but sometimes it is the simple stuff. I agree with LUCDOG about trying to move the shifter ON THE TRANSMISSION by hand. Did you have any problems before? I.E slipping not catching in all gears slip under load?
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

"The first thing to do is make sure it is full of fluid. If so, then is there a chance the filter has fell off, and its not picking up fluid? Look under the vehicle to make sure the shifter is moving the arm on the transmission. Your shifter may have broke somehow to cause this. Does the transmission just whine when you put it into gear, or is it even going into gear? You have got to make sure the shifter is moving the arm on the transmission. In the worst situation, you may have a broke pump, as this will go out all at once, and the vehicle will have no gears at all. It is common for a filter to not be on good, and it fall into the pan, thus can't pick up any fluid, and it won't move at all, but you will hear the pump whine if this is the case. Pull the dipstick out, and see if you can see any metal glittering in the sunlight on the stick. Get the engine hot, with the vehicle on level ground, check the fluid level with it in park. If there is none showing on the stick, add a couple of quarts to see if it then goes. If it is empty it might take as many as 3-4 quarts to make it go. I'm not sure how your shifter works, but if it's one that has a cable that works the gears, then it could have broke, and you would have no gears, just what ever its stuck in. I can't stress enough how important it is to not get under a vehicle unless you are 100% sure it can't fall on you, and make sure it won't all of a sudden go into a gear and run you over. You can never be too cautious, as these will kill you if you're not careful. Another common mistake with these is; someone will change the filter, and not get the old grommet out of the valve body, and put another one on the new filter, and when they push the filter into place it will just suck air and no fluid.
Part 2:
You are not the first one to have this problem with the B&M shifter. There are two types of shifters, one that works by linkage, and one that works by cable. There's not anything that would get caught in the shifter unless you have a light in the shifter, and the supply wire is caught in it somehow. If you can put the vehicle on a rack, or jack stands, and have a friend work the shifter while you watch what it's doing. I think what has happened to yours is; the cable has snapped, thus you don't have any gears. The cable can also slip out of the retainer, and not move the arm on the transmission. Without seeing what is going on, no one can tell you for sure what is, or isn't working. You will just have to see if it's moving the arm. If its not moving at all, then you can bet the cable broke. Have you discussed this with the technical support line at B&M? Try to remove the shifter from the transmission shift arm, and see if you can manually move it from one gear to the other. If so, then you have rulled out anything with the transmission. Outside of this, there just isn't anything else to tell you to do."
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Thanks again Bill & Dave (1st Team!!) ... here's a run-down to answer your response the best I can ...

1) I checked the fluid. It was low, but I only added a quart. I've had a small trans fluid leak for awhile now. I changed fluid, filter and gasket awhile back thinking it was just an old gasket, but it still leaks.
2) I don't think the filter dropped out or that it's an issue with the grommet (as Dave mentioned) because I changed all that awhile back and I'm just now having this problem.
3) I DO have gears ... but only reverse. The trans does not whine or grind at all. Just reverse.
4) The fluid is topped off and the 4wd shifter is in 4H. I don't have 2H .... just 4H, N, and 4L. (This is an issue I'd love to address but I was told some Chevy's this particular pack may have come from may have had all-time 4wd... although I haven't been able to back this up yet.)
5) I can't seem to determine the exact b&m shifter I have , but it does work with a cable. No lights or wires. Just a simple shifter with a small t-handle in front of the shifter that acts as the "shift button".
6) Lastly, seemed like this problem just popped up. I didn't have any slipping or grinding before hand. This only thing I noticed JUST before loosing the forward gears was at my previous stop before going home, it didn't seem to find "drive". I had to put it in 1st or 2nd and then back to "drive". I was going to check it out once I got home, but as soon as I pulled into the driveway, I lost forward gears completely.

Woo ray for chock blocks!

-Scott

Unread 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

And just like that .... we're fixed!!

First, let this strengthen the lesson to ALWAYS start with the simple solutions.

I got back under the jeep and started over with square one ... the trans was stuck in reverse. Checked the fluid, it's full. Checked that the shifter moved the cable and the cable wasn't broken. Check. Moved down the line towards the transmission and just as I was about to remove the cable to manually move the transmission linkage ... the ding-ol-dang-ol nut holding the lever to the transmission fell off right in my hand. One more 1/4 turn on the road, and I would have lost control of my transmission completely. God is GREAT!!
The lever has a slotted hole for it to fit on a slotted post ... assuming this post then moves through the gears. The loose nut let the lever fall off the slot, thus leaving it in reverse.

I shifted through my spare parts bin, found a large washer, lock washer, and a new nut. Slapped them on and CHA-CHING!!!!

Thanks Bill & Dave for answering the call. While neither specifically found the problem, through collective knowledge, I DEFINITELY learned more about my tranny today ...

Thanks again, gentlemen! .... I'm off to burn a tank of fuel in celebration!

-Scott

Unread 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
And just like that .... we're fixed!!

First, let this strengthen the lesson to ALWAYS start with the simple solutions.
Always start at the beginning.

Glad to see it was a simple fix.
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Always start at the beginning.

Glad to see it was a simple fix.
You and me BOTH!! Hahaha!

-Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.