Auto Trans slips - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Auto Trans slips

Ok I read the post on Transmission slips. None seem to do the same as mine. Its a 1980 CJ7. When I put it into drive it works sometimes and sometimes it will just slip out of gear. If I put it back into Neutral and back into drive that seems to fix it. Also have to shift through the gears to get it to engage. Not much of a mechanic. Fluid level is good. I changed the filter also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 AM
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

easiest thing to check first is the shift linkage from the lower steering column in the engine bay to the transmission. It might need some adjustment so that when you put it in Drive the lever on the transmission is in the detent location for Drive.

Also the various connection points on the linkage may be worn , creating slop in the linkage, you will need to check the whole linkage out and see if it has slop in it.

I am assuming you have the original linkage, not an aftermarket cable setup.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM
baldfatdad
1984 CJ8 

Jeep used a weird set up for the shift mechanism. It has a bell crank with plastic bushings. Half mounted on the frame and half on the transmission. If any of it is worn or twisted you get this. You should also check the engine and transmission mounts. If they are bad it can twist the linkage, so it doesn't work well.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Thanks. I was wondering about the linkage. It would be nice if that was it What trans is in that one? I have seen different ones. The Baby 999 and a few others. When I got my gasket for it I ended up with one used in a model on a van. I figured it was swapped.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
EngChase

1980 CJ7 

I had to adjust the linkage as it attached to the steering column just outside the firewall in the engine compartment. Mine shift lever wouldn't go far enough over to gear down into 1st gear. After some adjustment, I had to make sure the neutral safety switch was being activated for starting while in park. It was a very basic linkage style that compressed around the column to move the main linkage. The TF999 was standard in my CJ. I think you can run the vin to see if it was originally an automatic.

1980 CJ7, 258, automatic TF999
post #6 of 12 Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Yeah the TF 999 is what us supposed to be in it. I am going to find a pic of it. What should a trans rebuild cost if it comes to that? Or would I be better getting one online?
post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Also if I find the Tag on the trans will it say something about TF999 or just a number? I am going to look this weeks when I am not working.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

One more thing. Been looking at posts and internet stuff off and on all day. Seems like you can get a decent deal on a torque converter and auto trans online for about $660. My question is since I belive I have the 727 trans which would be better. 1- have my trans and torque converter rebuilt 2- Just buy one off line and swap (has torque converter also). Keeping in mind I am going to have to pay someone to do this.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Ok read lots of stuff over the past couple of weeks. If my transmission had not been swaped I will just have it rebuilt. From everything I read the TF999 is a good overall trans. Minus the breather hole issue. Now the question I have now is what type of rebuild kit is the best? I have seen lots of Master Rebuild kits online. But good quality cost more I am aware. Who makes a good quality kit for mild use? As for the Torque Converter I have seen sites that sell them. I figure while the transmission is being installed back in I will have the guy adjust the linkage and all.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Checked the fluid today real fast. Let run and heat up. Shifted through all gears a few times. Checked the fluid and it was low. About two quarts low. Added the fluid. Drove it around the block and it seemed ok. But when I was going up a small hill the Jeep didnt seem to have power. Would that be the engine or trans? I know the engine supplies the power, but not sure what causes the engine to be sluggish like that.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 AM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by margotta78 View Post
Ok I read the post on Transmission slips. None seem to do the same as mine. Its a 1980 CJ7. When I put it into drive it works sometimes and sometimes it will just slip out of gear. If I put it back into Neutral and back into drive that seems to fix it. Also have to shift through the gears to get it to engage. Not much of a mechanic. Fluid level is good. I changed the filter also.
I have to agree with the guys on part of this...

As your body bushings settle, the linkage no longer is adjustd correctly,
Same for wear and tear on the linakge, bushing wear out, pins/holes get worn, ect. and pretty soon, you are lucky to FIND 'Drive'!

See if you can shake the linkage excessively, find places it makes noises, these are the wear points and see if there is some way to tighten things up.

With the vehicle turned OFF!,
Put the transmission in 'Drive' and get under, get ahold of the tranmission shifter arm and see if it's in the 'Detent' for drive (or any other gear) or see if it's not quite going into any gear like it's supposed to.

There are also a couple of adjustments you need to do once in a while,
The transmission you have uses BANDS to keep things doing what they are supposed to do, and those bands need to be adjusted.

There will be one adjustment outside the case, just above the shifter linkage on the outside of the case.
It's a 'Nut' with a square headed bolt sticking out of it.

DO NOT take this bolt out,
You adjust it with an INCH POUND torque wrench, back it off a little, then lock the nut down.
This takes the slack from wear on the band out of the linkage system.

The othe one is inside the transmission in a back corner,
And it's adjusted the same way, loosen the nut, tighten the same way with an INCH pound torgue wrench, back off a set amount of turns, and tighten the nut.

With the pan off, this lets you change the fluind/filter and inspect the 'Crud' that collects in the bottom of the pan,
Insert a magnet in the pan while it's off, ect.

I've done write ups with pictures on this before, and I'm sure SOMEONE has a link or can find it on search for you if you don't find it.
I'm on a laptop in the middle of no where on an unsecured connection, so I can't dig around in my files to find it right now...

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #12 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
margotta78
1980 CJ7 

Thanks JeepHammer. Yeah the first thing was the low fluid. I fixed that. I am 100% positive the body bushing are worn out. Thats just one more thing I need to do I will have to do some reading on the process on doing that. Friday is my next day off. Then I will get under "with the engine off" lol and look at the linkage and adjuster nut. How much is it supposed to be backed off? And also whats the torque on the bolt? I will have to borrow an Inch Pound wrench.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.