Auto Trans Shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Auto Trans Shifter

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Auto Trans Shifter

Anyone have any suggestions on what types / brands of Auto trans shifters would #1- Work or #2 Look good on an 80 CJ7? . I am not going to do a steering column shifter since I already have an existing hole in the floor where I ripped the SR-4 from. I see a few racing / aftermarket shifters and housings that are floor mounted, but they seem to be more designed with the shift pattern on the knob, which I think won't work well for low light or driver's other than me. I was hoping to find something that resembled a set up in a Cherokee or Laredo that had the gear indicator on the box (lighted) and the actual shifter was just the metal piece.
I know there is a separate post for photos only, but thought I would start here Thanks

lbijeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
dr_hunt
1976 CJ7 

I tried some of the B&M street rod shifters with the long shifter handle, but with my console I had to mount it too far forward and it would hit the dash when in park. So, I build a pedestal out of solid oak, screwed it to the floor and mounted a B&M z gate shifter on top of that. Looks good, and the shifter is the right height and doesn't hit the dash when in park.
dr_hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I use a B&M Megashifter (ratchet). Works quite well for me. I picked up a new tranny hump cover, blank with no shifter hole, to make a neater install.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I'm really pleased with my Lokar shifter...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I think if I were to do it again, I'd get an Art Carr.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

I prefer ratchet shifters for my off-road vehicles. When my CJ7 had a steel body, I had a B&M Quicksilver shifter for the TF999 tranny and it worked fine. When I replaced the (rusted) steel body with a fiberglass body, I didn't want to use the Quicksilver shifter because it switches from normal mode to ratchet mode by lifting up on the shifter handle. In my mind, that would tend to put a lot of repetitive stress on the fiberglass floor. So I switched to a B&M Megashifter (which uses a trigger t-bar) and have been very happy with it. My neighbor has a early 90s Chevy pickup with a 700-R4 tranny and he recently installed a B&M Megashifter in it and he's pleased with it.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.