Atmospheric Pressure effect on Compression Testing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Atmospheric Pressure effect on Compression Testing

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Atmospheric Pressure effect on Compression Testing

Hey guys.. I just picked up a 74 Wagoneer with a running AMC 360 for the engine to drop in my 76 CJ5.

Anyway.. I'm at about 6500 feet here in Colorado Springs.. does the altitude have an effect on my readings? I've heard that it does have an effect on vacuum readings.

It would make sense to me that an altitude would effect compression as well.

Basically I checked all cylinders and they are at about 110-120 or so. My service manual says 140 is correct. I've heard that at my altitutude (at least for vacuum readings... you will show 83% of the true reading)... so 116ish would be correct for 140 at sea level.

Am I right in my thinking here?

Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Whoops.. looks like I answered my own question:

Altitude and temperature also affect the compression readings. Manufacturer’s specifications are almost always given at a specific altitude (14.7 psi at sea level), and 59° Fahrenheit. Both temperature and barometric pressure change as you go up in altitude, so you will need to correct your measurements if you wish to compare it with a factory specification. The following chart provides conversion factors for correctly compensating for changes in altitude:

Compression Test Altitude Compensation Factors

Altitude Factor
500 0.987
1500 0.960
2500 0.933
3500 0.907
4500 0.880
5500 0.853
6500 0.826
7500 0.800
8500 0.773
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I never thought about air pressure affecting cylinder compression but I guess it would have to. According to this chart, 6000ft is about 80% of sea level. The AMC 258 has a compression ratio of 9.2:1. That works out to 134psi so I don't know where the 140psi comes from. If atmospheric pressure at 6K ft is 11.8 psi that would make a compression of 109psi. So I think you are right.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ure-d_462.html
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Yeah, it's the ideal gas law.
PV = nRT

pressure x volume = constant x temperature

Or pervert = nert as my chemistry prof used to say.
Unread 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I was thinking, yeah, but the air pressure on the outside of the pressure gauge is also at 11.8 PSI so you would have to take into effect also. But then I thought I was thinking to much so I desided to stop thinking.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.