ARB Solenoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ARB Solenoid

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

ARB Solenoid

Anyone know where I could find a solenoid to operate my ARB locker that doesn't cost $60?

Unread 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Nickmil

Switch to a mechanical air switch or use big rig air solenoids. I've gone all mechanical on mine. Even have pressure switches that turn on indicator lights when the switch is on. Bought them from Six States Distributing but anyone who deals with semi-trucks should be able to get or supply those kind of parts.
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
CSP

From a local forum:
Quote:
Two ARB solenoid assemblies cost $100, plus shipping. Mac Valves, Inc. of Wixom, MI sells a similar assembly that will work just as well, and they go for only $17 each! The part number is 35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA. Mac Valves' southwest distributor; Fiero Fluid Power, Inc. of Arvada, CO. Their toll-free number is 1-800-638-0920. In addition to removing the "air in" and "air out" fittings from your ARB solenoid, you will also have to cut off the wiring harness connector and solder it to the Mac Valve wires (it doesn't matter which wire goes to which). You can purchase ($1) a little muffler for the release port to protect it from dirt..
The distributor is local on the forum this came from, but I'd be Mac Valves has a website that you could get contact info from for a distributor in your area.

I switched to a mechanical air switch years ago and have never regretted it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
justin_76
Sigma Nu-Gamma Xi 1405

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used these and they worked great. Just find a local dealer and they bolt right up using the existing fittings.

ARB Replacement Solenoid - MAC Valve
justin_76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

The only place I have found them on line is a "halloween" decorations supplier. They do have lots of air stuff though.

FrightProps - Halloween Decorations, Halloween Props, Pneumatic Props, Animated Props, Halloween Accessories

I ordered mine from them after my local distributor never got back to me. I guess I was not a high enough volume customer to "waste" time.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

For those that went mechanical, did you just use 1/4 turn valves? If so, how do you exhaust the pressure when you close the valve? Where did you mount them. Seems like a lot of routing extra air lines through the cab.....The MAC valve seems like a good deal, I'll look into it
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
CSP

No, the mechanical valves look just like a toggle switch when mounted. There are inlet, outlet, and exhaust fittings. Here's a picture of one I found on the web. The fitting with the screen is the exhaust. I ran a short piece of tubing through my firewall into the engine compartment to keep the interior from smelling like gear oil when mine is shut off.

Yes it is a bit extra air line, but you eliminate the electrical altogether.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I ordered the MAC valve from my local distributor on Fri, got it in on Sat, fast shipping. It works like a champ. Was a total of $29.xx after shipping and tax. Seemed a little high for shipping cost, but was still half the price of the ARB brand. Thanks ya'll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.