Applying heat to front hub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Applying heat to front hub?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
row684
1984 CJ7 

Applying heat to front hub?

I have studs in my front hubs that are red lock-tighted in and need to replace one... Can I put the little propane torch to the outside of the hub to release the lock tight without starting the grease on the inside on fire?

Unread 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
bear991
1978 CJ7 

heat on wheel studs

Yes you can just don't get it red hot. Wheel bearing grease has a high flash point due to the nature of what it does
bear991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If you are talking about the wheel studs, they are pressed into the hub. To remove them, you will either have to use a press or drive them out with a hammer. If you use a hammer to remove/install them, the hub should be removed, and the area around the stud supported during the operation.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear991
Yes you can just don't get it red hot. Wheel bearing grease has a high flash point due to the nature of what it does
Thank you I will keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
row684
1984 CJ7 

Bear, thanks just what I needed to know.

JeepDaddy no I'm talking about the 4wd hub bolts, I replaced them with studs and used red lock tight on them and now need to replace one because I screwed up the threads being an idiot... Lol It's a real easy upgrade and looks pretty cool afterwards to.
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
bear991
1978 CJ7 

You've probably already done it by now ,but how I do it is I put a old lug nut on the stud heat it some and with a big brass drift or punch and a decent size hammer(BFH) knock the crap out of it
bear991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear991
You've probably already done it by now ,but how I do it is I put a old lug nut on the stud heat it some and with a big brass drift or punch and a decent size hammer(BFH) knock the crap out of it
Thanks that's how I do those to, but I was talking about the bolts that hold the locking hubs on, I replaced the bolts with studs and lock tight, then screwed up the threads... I didn't actually need to use heat on it it came right out with vise grips.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
jeepardy
1983 CJ7 

If those are factory lockout hubs they are made of pot metal, I would be very careful applying heat to the bolts. The better way would to put an impact wrench to the bolts, the hammers on a good impact wrench should be able to break loose the red locktight bond before breaking the bolts.
jeepardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
CSP

Wonder how many more suggestions this thread will get before people figure it out that the job is done.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
Wonder how many more suggestions this thread will get before people figure it out that the job is done.
Lol or the part about them being studs instead of bolt to hold on the locking hub.

Seriously though thanks for the help guys turned out to be to simple a job to bother you all for your time.
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
agear
1984 CJ7 

LOL Funny
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.