anything wrong with stock shackles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > anything wrong with stock shackles?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
blutowski
1978 CJ7 

anything wrong with stock shackles?

ive searched to no avail............ but theres a million different shackles out there. is there anything wrong with stock? i mean for street driving and some trails, some mud. no rocks. i get that you may want some custom stuff for real crawling. but for a guy like me would there be any drawback to just running stock ones? all i have is a 4" lift kit installed. and really i kinda wish that i didnt have that much lift. i know i want a stock length shackle anyways. if for some reason stock ones are a problem what stock length replacements would you suggest?

blutowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
oteps
1980 CJ5 

I dont know what jeep you have but I replaced mine on a 1980 cj5 with 1/4 inch steel and a piece across the two welded together. It seemed to handle better on the road but i replaced the bushings at the same time. stay with the stock length.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

I just replaced the bolts and run the factory side plates
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

It depends on how and where you're going to drive.

There's not a thing wrong with those shackles if they're in good shape and you've got bump stops to keep the springs from flattening too much. If you don't stop the springs before they flatten too much you can have trouble.

CJ leaf springs by the numbers...
about 48" = Length of most 4" lift leaf springs
45" = Length from spring mount eye to stock shackle fully extended

Just be careful and consider if you continue to flatten the spring beyond 45", the longest leaf could bend at its weakest point.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
blutowski
1978 CJ7 

its a 71 cj5....... but i think the only thing that is 71 about it is the title. it will be 90 percent street driven. kind of a 4 wheel motorcycle. wanna hit a couple light trails just for the thrill of it. but for the most part just on the street. the only reason she has a lift is that i got a great deal on the frame and suspension. i woulda been happy with stock height. but the lift is growing on me. the suspension came with some lift shackles had made my caster angle terrible, so i think im gonna go back to some stock ones that i have. just wanted to know if there was some reason that guys change out thier stock ones for aftermarket. IE that the original set up is flawed in some way.
blutowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

You shouldn't have a problem... I just gave you the numbers...

The big thing about caster is knowing what you have. Do you know what it is now? Do you know what it will be with the stock shackle?

BTW... My shackles are two inches longer than stock. My springs are 48.5" long or a little more than 4" longer than stock. Yes, it changed my caster but I fixed it.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

The spring info you gave does not apply across the board and doesn't apply to his Jeep. Pre-'76 springs are shorter and narrower...also there's plenty of 4" lift springs on the lower end of the price/quality scale that aren't 48"...you can pick them out easily when you see someone whith shackles that are near vertical or even past vertical in the wrong direction.

The advantages to the aftermarket shackles are that they're new (you're replacing older, possibly fatigued units), often have cross bracing which helps 'tighten up' some of the suspension slop/sway, and are made of thicker metal. Nothing wrong with the stockers if they're in good shape, but I always toss them when installing a lift.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
PERK
1983 CJ7 

my question to you would be; Did you put the 4" lift on yourself. or buy the jeep that way? the plus of changing the shackles is that you would change out the spring eye bushings at the same time. for light trail/street use i would not go over 1/2 inch over stock,ConFerr used to make a good heavy shackle, see if there still out there.or look at the rubicon express ones, they don't cost that much.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
The spring info you gave does not apply across the board and doesn't apply to his Jeep. Pre-'76 springs are shorter and narrower...also there's plenty of 4" lift springs on the lower end of the price/quality scale that aren't 48"...you can pick them out easily when you see someone whith shackles that are near vertical or even past vertical in the wrong direction.

The advantages to the aftermarket shackles are that they're new (you're replacing older, possibly fatigued units), often have cross bracing which helps 'tighten up' some of the suspension slop/sway, and are made of thicker metal. Nothing wrong with the stockers if they're in good shape, but I always toss them when installing a lift.
You're absolutely right about applicability to his model... I didn't read his model and based it on the '80s CJ7 in his profile... oops! You're also right about the length of 4" leaf springs in the lower price range and their particular attributes...

My main point with each post on this subject is...
1) know the working range of your spring mount to shackle (in inches)
2) know the length of your spring (in inches)
3) know how much the spring will extend as it travels upward
4) know your caster measurement (don't assume stock shackles are the cure all)

Unread 06-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Some of the stock shackles are made with soft bolts and stamped steel brackets,
Other than that, there is much RIGHT with them!

Going to 'Lift' shackles, especially with 'Lift Springs' kills your dive line and steering component angles.

Makes the drive shafts enter your differentials at the wrong angle (drive line angle),
And lift shackles kill the 'Caster' angle on your steering axle.
This means your steering won't want to return to center like it's supposed to, and the vehicle will want to wonder around the road a lot.

Making some shackles out of thicker steel, but the stock length, and using some good Grade 8 Bolts with proper locking nuts is a good idea.

Going to 'Lift' shackles is a BAD idea.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
79-CJ-7
1979 CJ7 

IIRC you want a little longer shackle when using a 4" lift spring. the longer shackles will allow the spring to flaten out. if the spring has no where to go i.e. when it is compressed it gets longer thus pushing the shackle forward, assuming that a shackle reveresal has not been done. A fattened spring is fine so long as you are not fighting the shackle, I mean if the shackle it to short and pushed all the way forward while compressing the spring the spring runs out of room to flatten out (grow)and all that energy will be taken up by the spring and if the spring wont absorbe this energy the spring will bend, thats why you need longer shackles.

Imagine if you will a flat spring, it has the ability to flex down of course but it will also flex up. this is very good for twisting (articulation). There are a lot of guys installed YJ springs on there CJ for this very reason. The YJ springs sit pretty flat when at rest. this allows the axle to move up and down.

Do a search you find all kinds of threads explaing the difference's.

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/tech.s.../detail/260281
79-CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.