Anyone shorten 1972+ CJ fenders to fit an M38A1? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone shorten 1972+ CJ fenders to fit an M38A1?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone shorten 1972+ CJ fenders to fit an M38A1?

Hey folks, so I picked up what I was told was 1965 CJ5 parts, a grille and hood. They wanted me to take them home. I wanted to install them on my YJ.

So I painted them up and started the swap.

Scrambled and thrashed to get it together by the Jeep Jamboree (TN Mountains a couple weeks ago). Ordered some new fenders online from Carparts.com. They were too long. So I chopped the YJ fenders and went to the Jamboree.

While on the trip, our group leader Tony (go green!) came over and said "I thought you said you had CJ parts on your Wrangler". I said "Yeah..." He said that the snorkel opening meant that they were M38A1 parts. Cool!

So that made my day and started me to thinking (uh-oh). I would like to complete the M38A1 front clip conversion. I love the stock Jeep look. Anyways I still have the new fenders. I am wondering if the angle and curve are right on the fenders, so that I could use them. I am wondering if I can shorten the tub end of the fenders to make the length fit the M38A1 hood. My YJ fenders were a good 6" too long.

Just wondering if any CJ folks have tried this? I am going to pull the hood off and set it on the fenders to mock it up on the garage floor.

Or if I'm crazy let me know that too. Well we already know that, but let me know how crazy. Thanks

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Early CJ5's had the same snorkel cutout. Early CJ5 (55-71) and M38A1 fenders are the same thing, and reproductions are available. There is no need to try to chop down the 72+ versions.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Early CJ5's had the same snorkel cutout. Early CJ5 (55-71) and M38A1 fenders are the same thing, and reproductions are available. There is no need to try to chop down the 72+ versions.
Thanks for the info Pathkiller. I did a little searching, but the prices I am finding are around $400 per fender. Does that sound right?

For a vehicle that does lean on rocks and trees from time to time, I was okay with my CJ fenders @$120. But I'm getting a little sticker shock on the early fenders.

I got the idea to shorten the newer fenders from the YJ forum where a guy mentioned doing that to YJ fenders when doing a 1972+ CJ nose swap. But I don't think he had actually tried it. I was wondering if this is something that folks do from time to time.

For the money I'm still going to look at shortening the fenders I have.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

M38a1 and early CJ Fenders don't have the signal recess.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh okay cool, thanks for the info man.

I decided to use my CJ repro fenders as-is, and instead run a newer CJ hood with my M38A1 grille. I located a hood on the other side of town.

SO I get to un-shrink the front a little, going to have to get new radiator hoses because I had to trim mine. They were old anyway. Also I will re-do my grille mount, which I wasn't happy with. It was good enough to get me through the Jamboree but I can do better.

Hopefully in the next week I will have the new nose done and put up a pic. Not sure what to do about paint, I might shoot the new parts black or primer gray and look into having someone paint the whole Jeep.

The guy who has the hood has a barn of Jeep parts, so who knows what other parts I might bring home.

Unread 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

I love the look you are going for! it will be cool to see how she turns out
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis77Cj View Post
I love the look you are going for! it will be cool to see how she turns out
Thanks man! I'm glad you know what look I'm going for I have no idea what I'm trying to do!

Anyways picked up a Renegade CJ7 hood, brown with the gold graphics. Looks so cool! Thinking about cleaning it up and clearcoating it. I'll put up pics as I tear into it.

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Thanks man! I'm glad you know what look I'm going for I have no idea what I'm trying to do!

Anyways picked up a Renegade CJ7 hood, brown with the gold graphics. Looks so cool! Thinking about cleaning it up and clearcoating it. I'll put up pics as I tear into it.
you are coming back to the round headlights
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis77Cj View Post
you are coming back to the round headlights
Yeah - she is looking good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.