Anyone running a RetroSound stereo in their CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone running a RetroSound stereo in their CJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Anyone running a RetroSound stereo in their CJ?

I am looking to get a radio for my CJ and I want to keep the stock look. I found the retrosound radio but it is on the expensive side.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/78

I know it would be very nice, but that is more than I wanted to spend. Does anyone know where I can get a deal on them? If not, does anyone recommend something else that mounts in the stock location in the dash? Thanks.

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

I was looking at the same one I think they are a very cool idea but your right quite spendy. I found this one on ebay and I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm not an audiophile just want a little background noise, so I'm hoping it will be fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AM-FM...#ht_2104wt_939
MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWonderful73 View Post
I was looking at the same one I think they are a very cool idea but your right quite spendy. I found this one on ebay and I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm not an audiophile just want a little background noise, so I'm hoping it will be fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AM-FM...#ht_2104wt_939
Thanks for the link. I will look in to that for sure.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So I finally picked up a radio and speakers for the Jeep. This is what I went with:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/260

And Marine speakers front and rear:

http://www.bossaudio.com/marine/5-25...-way-150-watt/

http://www.bossaudio.com/marine/6x9-...-way-400-watt/

The rears will be in these:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14031_5X_PG.htm

I hope it sounds good. Can't wait.

I also picked up some enclosures for the fronts.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT52...9#overview-tab
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
steve1973
1973 CJ5 

I'm running that radio in my 73 and it looks and sounds great. By far it keeps true to the original shaft style and when off you can't tell it's modern. I made some enclosures by fusing 2 4 x 4 plastic electric junction boxes together and putting some weather proof Polk coaxial s in. Keeps the stock look and really sounds fine.
steve1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1973
I'm running that radio in my 73 and it looks and sounds great. By far it keeps true to the original shaft style and when off you can't tell it's modern. I made some enclosures by fusing 2 4 x 4 plastic electric junction boxes together and putting some weather proof Polk coaxial s in. Keeps the stock look and really sounds fine.
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Sounds pretty cool. I am hoping to get mine installed next week, along with the CB. I just ordered the speakers last night so I have to wait a bit till they come in.
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Stumblebum
1982 CJ7 

CJ7 with Retrosound Zuma Radio

I installed a Retrosound Zuma radio in August. I ended up using the original rear adjusting knobs and the Retrosound front knobs because the supplied Retrosound Zuma rear knobs were too big and too close to the display. Other than that, it was a fairly easy install and I used the original speakers. The radio is high quality and the look is understated with a close to original appearance. The price was high ($300) but it's a case of you get what you pay for, in my opinion.
cj7panel.jpg   cj7zuma.jpg  
Stumblebum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
jranger35
1983 CJ7 

I appreciate the stock look, but another option would be to go with this:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/radio-d...l-5462707.html

And then mount the normal, less-expensive head unit inside of your console. Or spend the 270 beans you were going to spend on the RetroSound head unit to buy a Tuffy console and then throw the CD player in there.
jranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
steve1973
1973 CJ5 

Sorry it took so long. Here are some pics. I think I paid $160 for the radio. Nice thing is that the body is short, so it will fit in tight spaces. The bezel you see didnt come with it. I had that one in my toolbox for 20+ years. It originally housed the stock radio in a 1983 Scrambler.
jeep-radio-004.jpg   jeep-radio-007.jpg   jeep-radio-009.jpg   jeep-radio-013.jpg  
steve1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the pictures!
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So here it is. Got it installed this past week. Sounds AWESOME. The retrosound actually puts out pretty decent power. The entire project took more time than expected. The dash was a HACK job. The holes that were there were mangled. The speakers are also really heavy duty. The 6x9s are huge. The speaker boxes needed to be altered a bit just so they would fit. I guess all 6x9s aren't all created equal. The sound out of the speakers is really good. I haven't driven the jeep around yet, but the driveway test was pretty good. The thing sounds great. I am happy. Much better than what I had before, haha. I also installed the CB at the same time.

Unread 02-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's mine.

Matt
radio6.jpg   radio7.jpg   radio10.jpg   radio9.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

^What kind of radio is that? Looks completely different from mine.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
I am looking to get a radio for my CJ and I want to keep the stock look. I found the retrosound radio but it is on the expensive side.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/78

I know it would be very nice, but that is more than I wanted to spend. Does anyone know where I can get a deal on them? If not, does anyone recommend something else that mounts in the stock location in the dash? Thanks.
WOW those people are totally off their rocker with a price like that! That's insane and spelled "GREED"... I've got this Pioneer, "BRAND NEW" never had taken it out of the box, but someone else asked for a picture of it, so I opened the box for the picture, then he tried to lowball me..
pioneer-radio-cassette-1.jpg   pioneer-radio-cassette-2.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
WOW those people are totally off their rocker with a price like that! That's insane and spelled "GREED"...
I thought $199 for the basic model was quite reasonable.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dashboard , radio , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.