Anyone run the Clifford 6 = 8 performance for the 258? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone run the Clifford 6 = 8 performance for the 258?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #46
jeepnutz97
1985 CJ7 

I've got an 85 cj7 that I'm about to put some Clifford stuff on. The stock 258 block froze and cracked recently so that gives me an excuse to do all of this. After much research, here's what I've got planned. I've got another 258 block given to me that hasn't been worked on before. I am getting it bored .060 and having the top zero decked, I have a 4.0 head coming with 2.02 intake and 1.7 exhaust valves in it. They are also milling the springs seats flat so I can run the springs I am getting and I won't have the springs bind. I am getting the dual 2 barrel weber intake setup with header from Clifford. I am also getting cam, lifters, springs, and some other misc stuff from Clifford. When I get everything in I will port match the intake to the head. The guy from Clifford, Larry, is a great person to deal with he even talked to the people doing my head so everybody is on the same page. He says that I should be bumping 400 lb. of torque, and somewhere between 10.0 and 10.5 compression. I don't know about that but if so that would be great. He didn't mention any horsepower numbers. I like the idea of keeping everything Jeep and getting v8 power and tons of torque. It will be a couple of weeks before everything is ready to put back in.

I can't seem to find anybody else that has done all of this to a 258 but would love some feedback if anyone has done something close.

jeepnutz97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #47
Pelzworld
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clifford

Doing Clifford parts on fresh 258 from top to bottom-Larry has been good to deal with-my header & manifold went on no problem. The gasket seems hardcore, so I hope it works out-will fire up within the next two weeks for break in after exhaust is done. One issue you guys may be able help with is the shift linkage for the auto trans is not usable due to header. Have a machine shop guy taking a look, but any suggestions?
Pelzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #48
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelzworld View Post
The gasket seems hardcore, so I hope it works out-will fire up within the next two weeks for break in after exhaust is done.
It'll turn brittle and you'll have to go in and replace it. Don't say I didn't warn you. There's nothing more fun than doing this job twice in a month.

I love how we've got two new guys, with a combined 4 posts, commenting on this Clifford thread. Sounds fishy to me.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #49
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
It'll turn brittle and you'll have to go in and replace it. Don't say I didn't warn you. There's nothing more fun than doing this job twice in a month.

I love how we've got two new guys, with a combined 4 posts, commenting on this Clifford thread. Sounds fishy to me.
Yeah, interesting...

Stuffing 2.02/1.7 valves in that head on top of that cylinder bore makes me wonder if they've ever seen a flow bench or a dyno.

I also wonder if they still grind their cams on a 110 ICL.

Shawn
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #50
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I've sat on the sidelines for this one, but I've had my Clifford for years and it's run well. I have a gasket on order and will let you know how mine works out.

Since some of you are pointing fingers, haven't you (walkerhound) always been negative towards Clifford set ups? Some guys have had great experiences with Cliffords (me, for example) and others, not so much. (perhaps you?) Same goes with Offys, Weber carbs, Ebay distributers, etc. It's just possible that there are people who lurk and just can't stand reading stuff that runs contrary to their own experiences. Not everyone is a shill. It's why they make Chevys and Fords.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #51
TexasCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRI View Post
I had this setup, but I wound up taking the holley 390 off and putting a motorcraft 2150 on it and the low end was ten times better and climbing on inclines were were nicer. it didnt sputter like the holley.
I've never had a problem on inclines with my 390, and it doesn't sputter. I'll put that carb up against anything else. As far as the street goes, if you gas it and open up the secondaries it accelerates like a V-8.
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #52
TexasCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_Jeep View Post
Updating this thread.

Here's what I finally did to the 258:

* Clifford dual outlet header
* Clifford intake manifold
* Holley 390cfm 4 barrel
* Bored .030 over block..it's now a 262 instead of a 258
* Align hone
* ARP rod bolts
* light decking
* Balance and blueprint
* 12 weight crank
* Head lightly decked ... now running 9.8:1 compression
* 145/178 valves with 3 angle grind
* Fully ported head
* Harland Sharp roller rockers
* Erson 280/288 cam, springs and locks
* MSD 6AL and Blaster 2 coil

With the cam I chose, the thing is wicked fast on the highway. V8 guys hate it when I blow past them going up hills on the highway.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Clifford product and would recommend it to anyone thinking of going that route.
Could you possibly tell us how much coin you dropped on this setup, and break it down for parts and labor. Thx
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #53
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
I've sat on the sidelines for this one, but I've had my Clifford for years and it's run well. I have a gasket on order and will let you know how mine works out.

Since some of you are pointing fingers, haven't you (walkerhound) always been negative towards Clifford set ups? Some guys have had great experiences with Cliffords (me, for example) and others, not so much. (perhaps you?)
I have been, WK, I admit. I'd spell it out, but it involves two manifolds and a set of headers. The manifolds both had water jacket cracks shipped from the factory (and were leaking coolant internally), the ceramic-coated headers had to be flamed to get them around the engine mount. The gasket that came with the second one went bad in a month and I had to redo the whole thing. Difficult jobs like replacing manifolds and gaskets are something you tend not to forget and get a little bent out of shape over.

Others experience with Clifford may be good - glad you mentioned it. But I think it would be helpful to know there are bad experiences out there too. Not everyone has the same experience, but for me the sting was too much.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #54
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Sounds understandable, but for me, nothing but good. I will promise the results and pics of the manifold when I install it.

I agree that I'm not looking forward to juggling both manifolds at the same time. And I too would not be happy for a repeat performance.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #55
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

I burnt through three of the Clifford gaskets and went to a Heddman Hedder gasket. It has been in two years with no sign of giving up.
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #56
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCJ7 View Post
Could you possibly tell us how much coin you dropped on this setup, and break it down for parts and labor. Thx
I'll have to dig up the receipts, but just the motor work and internal parts came to $2700. That included all mill work, internal parts, ARP bolts, balancing & blueprinting, and head porting.
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #57
DFree
1983 CJ7 

I have a similar but not identical issue

This is an amazing forum since this current thread is my issue, or close to it. I am looking for a replacement intake manifold for the 258 for my 1983 CJ-7 with manual transmission and the only one I can find is the Clifford which does NOT seem to be a match for 32 Weber carb. I don't want to upgrade the carb or swap out the exhaust since I've already installed the carb and exhaust is wending its way to me from an online order a week ago. Is there any other option?
DFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #58
Jeepit85
1985 CJ7 

I have used the Clifford cam, intake and header, all with Howell TBI. That was with a newly rebuilt motor. I always got comments from those that hadn't looked under the hood wondering what V8 I had in the CJ.
The only problem I had was the intake didn't have a water jacket around it. While it would warm up in cold weather it ran rough. After it was fully warmed it was ok. That header was made for California racing! I never ran it in winter so it wasn't a problem. Just an annoyance in 40-50 degree weather.
That motor took a crap on me 1 year ago and I ended up with another new motor without the Clifford cam in it. I still run the intake and header on it.
I can tell you this: I know the Clifford cam is not in the new motor. Sure it runs well but the power I had before is not there.
Clifford at one time made a water jacket to adapt to the intake but they don't make it anymore. I wish I could have found one but ever have.
85 CJ7, Howell TBI, Twin Stick, 4:10's, 35" Pitbull Rockers, Clifford 6=8, Detroits, Matkins Level II, BDS 4", Summers Brothers. Skynyrd rocks.
06 Rubicon
06 Lance Camper
02 Dodge Cummins
06 VW Jetta TDI
Jeepit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #59
DFree
1983 CJ7 

Meh.

I just ordered a used intake manifold from someone on ebay. Its original from an AMC 258 engine (according to this seller on ebay) so I'm just going with that. I just want to drive on the beach with my '83 I6 CJ-7, there's no race and no rocks. Is that too much to ask?
DFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #60
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nah, you will be fine. Mine was a used one (offenshauser single plane) off eBay also with a used 450 holley from a 68 mustang. Both have been running fine for more then a year (and probably actually almost two years)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.