Anyone run the Clifford 6 = 8 performance for the 258? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone run the Clifford 6 = 8 performance for the 258?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #31
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oucheecrash View Post
I have a 250 in a 1963 chevy 2 with the clifford intake 390cfm holley dual exhaust and also one of their cams. I don't remember what the lift and duration is on it but all I know is that before I put my posi in it and 4:11 gears I was beaten in the 1/4 mile by a 5.9L dodge dakota by only 1 car length. Don't think that is bad for a little inline 6. The car has been on the road for 14 years and I have had no problems so far. Clifford makes a good product and I am looking into rebuilding my 258 with their parts this time too. Just remember to put the dual valve springs or they will break over time. I broke 2 over the years until I put the better springs in it.
That's a pretty great testament to a straight six!

Unread 11-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #32
TPSreports
1983 CJ7 

I'm in the process of installing a Clifford header and intake on my 258 right now actually, can't wait to fire it back up.

After removing the stock exhaust and intake, I installed the new dual outlet header with no problem. It's the intake that I'm having trouble figuring out. Clifford told me to remove my centering pins and replace with 3/8 bolts or I will have a vacuum leak? When I tried to remove the pins with a vice grip, it seemed I would score the metal before turning the threads on the pins (I assume they are threaded)? This Jasper block has under 2k on it, so the pins shouldn't be seized.

Also, the header flange is much thinner than the intake flange. I had considered either building up washers, or welding steel stock onto the header flange. The guys Larry at Clifford advised against this. He told me to slide the 1/2" washer over to cover the header flange, and then put a 3/8" washer over the intake flange, and torque the header bolt, which I don't understand. I think my 3/8" washer has too large of an outside diameter to do this and I might need new hardware. Any others had this problem with the flanges?
TPSreports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #33
birddogO1
1979 CJ7 

I installed only the intake and exhaust manifold and the Holley 360 that Clifford recommended. I fabbed up a exhaust pipe out of stainless, ending with a Borla muffler. Not sure of the power gains, as I have bad rings in one of my cylinders, so I'am losing a lot of power down through the sump, I will be sorting this out over the winter. It certainly was a lot easier to tune and throttle response is very good, it also sounds fantastic.

They are good products, but require a bit of jiggery to install, as the guy above found out. I used washers of various sizes, including split locking washers, to tighten everything up. It was tricky, but no vacuam or exhaust leaks.
Unread 11-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #34
cj5-9inchlift
1977 CJ7 

will that intake fit if u have power brakes
cj5-9inchlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
moparjeepster
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphyar View Post
I just installed the Clifford on my 258, it runs great, the weak link is the gasket they give you, I have blown-out two in 700 miles. now I'm in the process of making my own. I found one site that would make the gasket out of 1/8" graphite composite, but the cost is $200.00 for 4 gaskets, that was mainly for the set-up charge. Any ideas out there
I used the fel-pro gasket set. It was like 16 or 18 dollars at Auto Zone.
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #36
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Felpro X 2 the Clifford one that you soak in water for an hour is meant for racing and fails quickly.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #37
TPSreports
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPSreports View Post
I'm in the process of installing a Clifford header and intake on my 258 right now actually, can't wait to fire it back up.

After removing the stock exhaust and intake, I installed the new dual outlet header with no problem. It's the intake that I'm having trouble figuring out. Clifford told me to remove my centering pins and replace with 3/8 bolts or I will have a vacuum leak? When I tried to remove the pins with a vice grip, it seemed I would score the metal before turning the threads on the pins (I assume they are threaded)? This Jasper block has under 2k on it, so the pins shouldn't be seized.

Also, the header flange is much thinner than the intake flange. I had considered either building up washers, or welding steel stock onto the header flanges. The guys Larry at Clifford advised against this. He told me to slide the 1/2" washer over to cover the header flange, and then put a 3/8" washer over the intake flange, and torque the header bolt, which I don't understand. I think my 3/8" washer has too large of an outside diameter to do this and I might need new hardware. Any others had this problem with the flanges?

With some modification, both the header and intake now fit perfectly. I welded 1/4" square steel stock onto the header flanges after measuring the areas where there was a gap between header and intake flanges. Much happier with this than stacking up washers that will, of course, rattle loose.

Also had to shave the aluminum intake, just slightly, to get the header bolts in straight and have the intake fit properly. Happy with it, will post pictures soon.

All I need now is to buy some thicker washers (I'm thinking 1/2" circumference with a 3/8" internal diameter?) so that I can torque them both down properly and not leak vacuum. After that I'll fire it back up for the first time.
TPSreports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #38
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

You'll have to let us know how the startup went. It's always exciting to get the Jeep back in motion.

At over two years on the road, it's still a thrill to hop in the Jeep everyday and just drive. Even though I still have the highway gear in, with the power the motor is producing, I do have to be careful when the roads are damp or icy. When the auto shifts, it can be a bit hairy unless I'm milking it.
Unread 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #39
stang-4
1982 CJ8 

bump autozone sells the gaskets for the intake and header?
stang-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #40
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang-4 View Post
bump autozone sells the gaskets for the intake and header?
I'm not sure if Autozone can order them or not, I know they can order a lot of items. It's not an item they keep in stock. I Usually order the Heddman gasket from either Summit or Jegs, for I've found those hold up really good.
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #41
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Buy the traditional intake/exhaust gasket. It may be in this thread or elsewhere, but the Clifford gaskets are junk, just like their intakes and manifolds. PM me for details on that part, but I put in a FelPro gasket for the header/manifold, used the Clifford gaskets for the header to collector, and 2 weeks later was kicking myself in the pants for doing that. Had to go to autozone to find collector gaskets because the Clifford ones turned to clay and cracked and fell out. Sounded cool, but having to redo that aspect with the headers ending up so close to the oil pan was not fun.

Bottom line: I would never purchase or recommend Clifford anything, ever.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
fabin4130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_Jeep View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that 360 ft pds sounded like quite a lot compared to the horsepower. I'm thinking that anything over the stock 115 horse is better than what I started with.
I've heard so much about the 4.0 head being better than the stock 258 head. When I bought the Jeep, I had larger valves installed and a little millwork. I think at this time, I'll keep the stock head and mess around with it a bit more before giving in to the 4.0 head. Just a little hot rodding in progress, and it's only money, right?
I've not heard anything about the dual outlet headers, so I'm a bit concerned that you say it can take away from the low end torque. I was planning to run a H-pipe just south of the headers. I'll need to do more research on my header choice now.
Thank you very much for the information.
I run a borla tri Y header 2 1/2 single out with a flow master 40 sounds super throaty!
fabin4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #43
fastkricket
1974 CJ5 

I found a Clifford intake with a Weber 38/38 on Craigslist. What exhaust manifolds will work with that? Do I have to buy a Clifford? I'm trying to follow the KISS principle and go low bucks if I can.
fastkricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #44
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

No you will not need a Clifford header.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #45
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am running an offy with a 450 holley and stock exhaust on my i6. It will bark the tires pretty easily from a stop. I have an auto trans and the stock 3.55 or whatever gears.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.