anyone paint there dash? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > anyone paint there dash?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

anyone paint there dash?

I want the foam part black like this http://www.jeep4x4center.com/dash-pa...c-5760458.html

but donít want to spend the $$$ anyone paint thereís with any success? what did you use?

nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
wm69

SEM makes a vinyl paint. I've used it on a Tuffy console (including pad), laredo grab bar, door panels, and sunvisors and it's worked great. I would imagine it would stick well to a dash pad but make sure you clean/prep it as stated in the directions.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I vote for SEM vinyl paint also. Don't cheap out and buy the rustoleum brand. The results are not as good.

SEM is about $18 a can. But worth it.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^-- I will check into SEM paint thanks guys.
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nyl%20paint%20
looks like off amazon for the prep, black , and clear coat I will be around $40. That would shure save me enough to get some sway bar discos, some beer to install them.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Clean with something like TSP (get at hardware store). You would be surprised at how much grease and oil is stuck to and in the vinyl/plastic and use some Bulldog adhesion promoter before paint. Try going to some auto paint supply stores in your area and save the shipping.

Clean, rinse and let dry
Clean, rinse and let dry
CLEAN,RINSE and let dry.
Bulldog adhesion promoter.
SEM paint
SEM clear if desired. If you don't like gloss, they have a satin clear.
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Yep SEM brand. I painted some waverunner seat covers that saw much salt water abuse and the paint never came off, peeled, no fading, nothing, stayed shiny too. Good stuff, comes in a bunch of different colors too.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't recommend the Duplicolor vinyl paints, either. It didn't hold up well on my fender flares, even though I was meticulous about the prep.

Let us know how the SEC products work for you.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

I second that SEM, thought it was SIMS, but.. the biggest trick to it is making sure your dash has NO armor all, or anything else on it.. clean it the way they recommend, prep work on it and this stuff will make your dash look and last like new!!..
Unread 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

forgot about this thread I ended up using VHT prep spray,bought local but this is what it looks like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then used this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It turned out great I then pained my sun visors to match.

I also applied two coats of autozone special clear coat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.