Anyone know an easy way to remove rhino lining - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone know an easy way to remove rhino lining

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

The brake fluid worked wonders for me, could peel any coating right off. I'm not familiar with Rhino lining itself but I have cleaned some parts with a coating comparable to that Rhino stuff, came right off.

What could be is that the newer style silicone based brake fluid is much less aggressive than the old fluid. Not sure though. And yes, a dust cap and wire wheel would do the trick too.

Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
Keyser328
1982 CJ7 

I found this on a Tundra forum:

Quote:
I found a couple articles that suggested aircraft stripper. Here are the results. I used 4 gallons of this stuff! Leave it on for like 30-40 minutes and the rhino liner disintegrates. Just scrape it off with a straight edge screwdriver and putty knife. It's called "tal-strip" and can be found at advanced auto parts. But also any gel/liquid paint stripper with methylene chloride should work.
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser328 View Post
I found this on a Tundra forum:

Aircraft stripper from O'Reilly's is what I used and it worked great!
stripper.jpg  
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Keyser328
1982 CJ7 

I have some spray can version that I got from them, I've been using it to pull that hazed clear coat off my wheels. It peels that stuff off like butter.
Unread 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
CajunCJ
1985 CJ7 

Called Oreillys all they have is the stuff in the spray can. Will pick some up at lunch and spray a little on and see how that does.
CajunCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
CajunCJ
1985 CJ7 

Picked up a can of the spray remover and they had a can of the liquid stuff as well. Did two test areas both set for a little over an hour. The spray can stuff didn't work well at all,maybe ate through half the thickness of the liner. The liquid on the other hand did well and removed it to the bare metal. I did glob it on in the area to where it was very thick. I now put a thinner layer over another area and will let it soak in even longer seeing if I can strecth the square footage.
Going with the stripper will be extremely messy. I have a gelateanous mess in the floor board and you want to have some chemical gloves on and long sleeves this stuff will light you up when it gets on your skin. Trust me I know.lol Also a respirator would be advisable to,very strong odor and will make you cough alot if you open the can to close and you get a deep whif of the fumes.
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #22
CajunCJ
1985 CJ7 

I bought a gallon of Master Pro Refinish paint stripper. It worked a lot better than the aircraft stripper in my opinion. I applied the full gallon on the inside of the tub and let it sit overnight. After about 45 minutes it was like standing next to a giant bowl of rice krispies. The stripper had dried on and wasn't as messy as I thought it was going to be to remove. I would say it lifted up about 70% of the lining. I scraped up what I could and applied another coat tonight on what was left (mostly very thick areas) and will let that sit overnight as well. What ever is left I will take a grinder with a wire wheel to remove.
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
Waderacin
1979 CJ5 

Brake Fluid
Waderacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #24
CajunCJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waderacin View Post
Brake Fluid
That worked about as well as pouring a gallon of water on it and I let the brake fluid sit overnight as well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.