anyone have the weber 38 dgev synchronous carb. do you like it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > anyone have the weber 38 dgev synchronous carb. do you like it?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
vicker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

anyone have the weber 38 dgev synchronous carb. do you like it?

is it worth the money over the 32/36 progressive carb? have a stock motor rite now but will add headers and a new ignition.
thnx for the feedback

vicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicker View Post
is it worth the money over the 32/36 progressive carb? have a stock motor rite now but will add headers and a new ignition.
thnx for the feedback
There are several of us Weber 38 guys on this board and we're all very pleased with it.

If you'll search around on here, you'll find that 95% of the Weber problem threads are with the smaller, progressive Weber 32/36 and the Interco 34 where guys are having a heck of a time getting them to idle without turning the speed screw all the way in.

I highly recommend the 38!

Hope it helps.

Shawn
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
vicker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply. finally some solid feed back. i think i'll make my purchase tomorrow. carbs unlimited has the best price and 1/yr of tech support with the purchase. sounds good to me
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

I installed a weber 38 on my last CJ. As you can tell from my carb thread on the first page, I'm no expert. I put mine on and followed the instructions to tune it and it ran like a champ - HUGE improvement over the carter.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Carbs Unlimited is where I got mine. If you decide to go for it, and you'll be happy with yourself if you do, I would also advise the purchase of the upgraded, viton-tipped needle and seat, part number 1292.200.

You can avoid the additional costs and very potential headaches of the cheap fuel pressure regulators.

Most of the 38 guys haven't been around too much lately but if you'll search posts from TropicalNusselt, Felonious Monk, uptillnow, MonkeyHouse and CJ Chet, you should get a good idea of how pleased we all are with the 38.

Shawn

tuning Weber carburetors
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
vicker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

im a bit of a noob. im not familiar with what a viton-tipped needle and seat is? redline makes a non adjustable fuel regulator that runs @ 2.5 to 3 lbs. i was gonna get that. would i still need the viton tipped needle and seat thingy sorry couldnt help it. lol
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

The viton-tipped needle and seat doesn't use the typical brass-on-brass contact that the stock one does. The stocker will basically pound out at the contact point as it flutters back and forth with each stroke of the fuel pump.

Obviously, the choice is yours. I just wanted to give you an option.

Here's the difference between the stock brass needle and the viton-tipped needle. Pretty easy to see why it's a better choice and I really wish Weber would just use the good ones.

Keep in mind that you'll probably need to make a minor adjustment in the float after the needle swap. Just measure the float drop before, like this...

and make sure it's the same with the new needle in place. Don't pay attention to my measurement, just set it back to the way that it came. Use the regular, bypass fuel filter with the return line positioned at the top and you'll be good to go as far as fuel pressure goes.

Shawn

weber carb tuning
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
rodjr
1980 CJ7 

dont mean to hijack, but i was thinkin of using the 38 on my gm151 (i already know they absolutely rip on a built 151!) but i dont want to use a regulator, and i dont have a stock return line, just a 1 piece steel line from mech pump to carb. ya think itll b ok with the good needle/seat?
rodjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodjr View Post
dont mean to hijack, but i was thinkin of using the 38 on my gm151 (i already know they absolutely rip on a built 151!) but i dont want to use a regulator, and i dont have a stock return line, just a 1 piece steel line from mech pump to carb. ya think itll b ok with the good needle/seat?
I would say yes, unless it's a high flow/pressure fuel pump but I haven't tried it. I know the guys at Redline have only recently switched to the bypass filter to more closely resemble what we have so I can only assume that it will be fine.

Shawn

weber carb tuning
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
thnx for the feedback

Quote:
im a bit of a noob. im not familiar with what a viton-tipped needle and seat is? redline makes a non adjustable fuel regulator that runs @ 2.5 to 3 lbs. i was gonna get that. would i still need the viton tipped needle and seat thingy sorry couldnt help it. lol

I would recommend the 32/36 and 34/34 Webers far before the 38. The smaller carbs are used in the jeeps I6 at a ratio of 30-50 to 1. There are not that many running the 38s compaired to the smaller carbs.

Weber 34 and other progressive webers, they all work the same.
Here is the Weber Tune Link,
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/weber-34-dgec-carb-too-rich-jets-tune-jeep-4-2-258-a-631105/

Good luck,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
vicker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the replies. i think i'll still go with the 38 since i do want to do some engine mods in the future and this saves me having to rejet the carb anyways and really how much difference is there in mpg from the 38 compared to the the 34 or even the 32/36 progressive?
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #12
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

I went with the 32/36 progressive because of it's reliability and smoothness throughout the power band. Way better than the vaccum secondary that the PO had on it. I took my time adjusting it and dialed it in just right and it was a vast improvement. My brother bought the 38 at the same time and we tuned his the same day as mine. He had a flat spot in the high end, that took a bit of work to get rid of. Also he gets about 3-5 mpg less than I do, with no noticable power advantage. Both jeeps are "Team Rushed" and have new headers. My carb also cost less.

Just my opinion but I got the better deal. My brother thinks so too. He keeps trying to trade me because I like to fiddle with my jeep more than he does and I always tune his carb for him.

Last edited by kakai81; 05-05-2010 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Missing word
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
LTEJ
1982 CJ7 

I got the Webber 38, along with DUI, and hedders, and once I got the DUI right the webber tuned right up runs great now. I am not worried about the 2-3 MPG becuase my jeep is not a DD. It is just a toy, and as I was once told by a good friend, "You don't get gas mileage and performance in the same package, speed cost money, How fast do you want to go?"
LTEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I was half tempted to buy a 32/36 just to see what difference there was, definitely not to keep because the 38 is the better choice.

Come to think of it, I still might.

Shawn

weber carb tuning
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Weber 34 installed for over 2 yrs not and flawless.

I get 24 mpg hwy and the other day it came in at 25 mpg on a trip to get some parts. It pulls and roars from 600 to 4400 rpms. Many post on this forum or made contact in Twin Cities their 258 maxies out at 2800 rpms. I have a Weber 34, Summit CDI, TeamRush, Aux Grounds, Borla Header & Exhaust. I have been around jeeps since the early seventies and I have not seen a 258 run any better than this. For a stock engine internals.... this runs pretty darn well.

I can tune a idle from 450 to 900 rpms so I have adjustment on my idle screw.

A smaller range carb will always run smoother thru general operation situations. The only limitations would be WOT, wide open throttle, and most of us never run these 30 year old CJs WOT.

The Carter BBD can be corrected and modified to work just fine provided the linkage thru holes are not worn oval and just worn out. The Motorcraft 2100 and Weber 32/36 and 34/34 are all good alternatives. There are Holleys too. Lots of good choices!

Good CARB choices will give you 20 mpg+ hwy, decent power, and smooth operation where you want to run your CJ.

I think you will be happy with your 38 choice...... but keep in mind if you want any carb to be tweeked / matched to your engine... you will most likely be changing jets.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pressure regulator , weber

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.