Anyone have a rear drive shaft for sale? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone have a rear drive shaft for sale?

JKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 01-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Badgerdawg
1980 CJ5 

Anyone have a rear drive shaft for sale?

After removing the old universal joints and prepping for the new ones, I discovered that a moron probably used an impact hammer previously to remove the former u-joints. What I am left with is very thin metal, which will most likely fail in the very near future.

My jeep shop said they can send it away to have a new end welded on for $220, or buy a new drive shaft for $350.

Yikes! I have 3 teenaged boys and a chihuahua to feed...just looking for other options. Thanks!

20160128_161803.jpg  
Badgerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
dahreno

You drive a vehicle, there are unexpected things that come up and you just have to take care of them. Going as cheap as possible is a sure way to having to redo it. You are lucky to be able to take care of kids and a dog. Now, go fix your Jeep and stop your crying. lol
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
Now, go fix your Jeep and stop your crying. lol
Huh? The guy is looking to buy a used part to replace one someone else buggered up. So what's the problem?

Seez, some people.
Unread 01-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Badgerdawg
1980 CJ5 

Thank you, Mortgage-payer...actually it's the girl that is looking for other options, and I appreciate your chivalry.

Dahreno, I'm not crying, but my family comes first, and then my jeep! I was simply making an inquiry if anyone has a drive shaft laying around that they would be interested in selling. I do realize that CHEAP is not always the smart way to go, but as I already stated, I am just looking at other options. Thank you.
Unread 01-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Heh, you should have mentioned you were female up front - you'd get 10 times more help here!
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
CSP

Find out where the Jeep shop is sending the driveline and take it there yourself. There's no need for them to make money off of it if all they are doing is providing transportation and I'll guarantee that they are upcharging what it actually costs them.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #7
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

You can get a brand new driveshaft from Tatton for $150
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1310-JEEP-DR...93UwOES9Mzsjjw

If you really have 6" of lift, you may want to consider a CV type driveshaft to help eliminate excessive driveline angles and vibrations. A little more spendy, but less likely to chew up u-joints.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CV-DRIV...9h8_Rpogn8ZeNw
Unread 01-29-2016, 04:06 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have 3 horses, 2 dogs, and 2 cat's to feed. So, I was wondering if anyone had some Detroit Truetracs laying around that they'd sell for cheap.

Kidding, of course.

I agree with CSP, take the middle-man out of it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

I second the recommendation for Tatton, he built my front shaft, did a great job.
grapehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

I have a shaft but it is from a '74 CJ5 with D44 rear....
Scuter83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

I have a stock drive shaft out of a 1980 CJ-7 that matched up to a Dana 300 and an AMC 20. It has new U-joints
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
1949er
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Badgerdawg measure out what you need by this and post the length .

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/img/...iagrams/g.html
1949er is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Badgerdawg
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
Heh, you should have mentioned you were female up front - you'd get 10 times more help here!
Understood, Mortgage-payer, but I generally don't throw out the "I'm just a girl" card unless I am correcting the he/she, him/her thing. I just think of myself as a Jeep owner like the rest of you. Besides, I'm an old girl with gravity issues, so I don't think it would help anyway.

As for Matt, come on...you know you can't own cats, they own YOU! And how do you get everyone into your van down by the river???
Just kidding, of course. You have always been very kind and helpful with my crazy questions and predicaments. You will be happy to know that I already replaced the u-joints on the front drive shaft with ease. I was looking forward to getting the rear done swiftly as well, and then this issue came up.
( PS- I am almost done with my air cleaner housing redo, will post pics soon!)

I will take everyone's advice and check Tatton's and also research a repair shop I can take it to. There are no repair shops were I live, so it will involve a long drive off the mountain...into the big city. Thanks again, everyone. Jeep Forum is the best!
Unread 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If you can measure the collapsed length and the extended length, I can check to see what I have. Pretty sure I have mostly CJ7 stuff, but I can see if I have any shorter ones for the 5.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #15
Badgerdawg
1980 CJ5 

I checked Tatton's and they look really good, and the price is nice, too. Thank you guys for the heads up.

@certifiablejeep and texasdave- I may be interested in getting a used one for backup, so if you have something that fits, PM me with a price. The driveshaft measures 15 1/4" top of the ears, closed; and 18 1/4" top of the yoke to yoke. I hope it makes sense in the photo...

Thanks again, everyone.
driveshaft.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.