Anyone experienced with powder coating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone experienced with powder coating?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
gregoryd3
1980 CJ5 

Anyone experienced with powder coating?

I keep my recently restored jeep near the coast. it has original wagon wheels powder coated white. Within just a couple of months you could see rust spots. Figured it was poor prep work so the company repowdered them free of charge. Unfortunately the spots have returned. Am I wasting my time or should I try again? Full disclosure, the powder coater is not near the beach, should I find one familiar with the climate?

The spots really drive me crazy

gregoryd3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
NATIVEOYSTERMAN
Jet Pilot
1979 CJ7 

Powder coat

We have a full line at work and I am the buyer for the powder.

The best thing to do is start with NEW unused wheels, we buy new powdercoated wheels for our trailers we build.

If you are coating something "used" the best thing you could do is DIP them and then use a hi solids zinc primer (powder coat) then coat the wheels.

The amount of build he is using is important also they could just be laying a thin coat of powder.

If the wheels had rust before that needs to be dipped if not the primer should do the trick maybe post a picture and I will show it to my PC guys they may have an idea
NATIVEOYSTERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
gregoryd3
1980 CJ5 

I don't think the wheels were dipped. Probably just media blasted to get the old finish and rust off. My guess is they went straight to powder, no primer.
Unread 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have bead blasted and powder coated my original wagon wheels as well. One of the problems with OEM wagon wheels is that they are two-piece welded together, rust likes to permeate through where the two pieces meet and is hard to get powder or paint into the crevices. I spent a considerable amount of time blasting each wheel in those areas so all rust would be eliminated before powdering.

After powdering, I used a body sealant in the cracks that I removed a year later because of discoloring. Now I just push paste wax in the crevices every year and have no signs of rust. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep water out in those areas because it is very difficult to get powder to flow into those tight crevices to begin with. Paint or powder, the results will be the same. Just keep it waxed but I know a lot of people will not take the time to do so, it is evident when you see chrome center caps on how pitted they become because no one bothers to wax them either. I do, and my originals always look brand new simply because they are waxed every time I take my wheels off for rotation.

If you want something to look nice years from now, you simply need to spend the time to keeping it cleaned and waxed.... period!

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
gregoryd3
1980 CJ5 

Keith, the waxing point is very valid, particularly the seem. I never thought about the need to do it. If I repowder, ill definitely be sure to stuff some wax in the seem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.