Anyone ever use SEM Products bed liner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone ever use SEM Products bed liner?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Anyone ever use SEM Products bed liner?

www.semproducts.com

My buddy, that owns the autobody shop that painted my CJ, recommends them. He can get the kit for $130 and he is doing the work for nothing. I am just wondering if anyone has used this product before. I have searched but I haven't found any pictures of this product on user CJs. I want to do it because it is a YJ swap with a bit of surface rust on the floors, directly under where the mats are. There is no carpet and the PO used some kind of crap undercoat to do it in the past. Thanks for the feedback. I am just going to do basic black to match the rest of the CJ.

This is what it is going in. This is my project that began as a $1500 jeep in April when I bought it.

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

SEM stuff is top notch stuff.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
SEM stuff is top notch stuff.

Thanks man. I asked because I had never even heard of the company before and I didn't know much about bed liners. I did some searching here and most people went with other companies.

This is the kit I just picked up for $140. My buddy is going to do it in the next two days. I should of taken a before picture, but he seems to think that it is going to come out awesome.

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=315
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

SEM is used bythe most body shops out there, on this forum people will like to stick to one product even though there are better ones out there. Take POR as an example its good stuff but its a bit dated. Zero Rust and Rust Bullet take less prep work and are easier to apply then you get a higher quality finish. Once POR surface is breached it can allow moisture to work under its film and that can cause problems down the road. The two others do not have this issue and after everything is said and done POR is more expensive in materials and prep time. But it seems to be popular on this forum,

Most of the bedliners are pretty close in formulation so IMO there isnt a truely superlative product. On the other hand Duplicolor is really the bottom of the barrel on all thier stuff.

BTW the texture really comes about during the application. Things like how long the stuff has been sitting on the self, temperature during application, air pressure at the Shultz gun, distance from the gun to the surface, how well it was mixed all have a big impact on the texture.
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the reply. Here is the project as it started today. I wanted to take care of that little bit of rust, which is all that is on the jeep. I hope it comes out well.

Unread 08-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
heatmiza
1972 CJ5 

i used sem rock-it in my fiberglass tub. had to prime first. dont know about metal. if you are spraying over other products i would be leery. i had some let go that i sprayed over some old undercoat. this stuff isn't as tough as herculiner or a similar product. i did like the way it sprayed out in the rear of the tub. nice texture and is holding well. sem products are usually excellent. i wouldn't spray this in the drivers or passenger floorpan i dont think it will last. i went over the front floor with herculiner, rugged stuff
heatmiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmiza View Post
i used sem rock-it in my fiberglass tub. had to prime first. dont know about metal. if you are spraying over other products i would be leery. i had some let go that i sprayed over some old undercoat. this stuff isn't as tough as herculiner or a similar product. i did like the way it sprayed out in the rear of the tub. nice texture and is holding well. sem products are usually excellent. i wouldn't spray this in the drivers or passenger floorpan i dont think it will last. i went over the front floor with herculiner, rugged stuff
Thanks for the feedback. My buddy sanded everything down first with 80, 120, and then 240 grit (I think). Then he primed it so that, as you said, it stuck to the metal the best. I am using rugged ridge floor mats anyway, so I am not to worried about wear on the floors. I did the SEM liner more because I wanted to take care of the minor rust. The new metal on the side of the jeep also needed to be painted because the humidity was making it rust a bit.

http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/je...oor-liners.php
Unread 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

After the spray:

I will try to get better pictures later. I am at work and couldn't hang around to take good ones. It does look pretty good though. A lot better than rust, haha.
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Looks good

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.