Anyone ever heard of this - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone ever heard of this

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
kp33
1978 CJ5 

Anyone ever heard of this

78 cj5, 6 cylynder, I put in a new coolant sensor, after ten miutes the top half where the wire slides over exploded up to my ceiling on my garage. The half that screws in to the engine was there, put the top stem part blew straight up. Put my old one back on, no issues. Not sure if I should just chalk it up to a defective part. I got it from Autozone, they have more, kinda afraid to try another one of the same kind. Changiong it because my temp gaugghe doesnt register. When I ground out the wire that connects to the back of my speedo the gauge works so I dont beleive its a gauge issue.

kp33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Shouldn't be any pressure above the threads.... And only about 12-14 total at the sensor. If the threaded part is still in the head and there is not a coolant fountain, I would think it was just a bad sending unit....

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
kp33
1978 CJ5 

gonna put in another one and hope it was just a bad unit.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
kp33
1978 CJ5 

with the htreads still in the engine there was a small spray stream shooting from the side, no gushing until I took the threads out.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Need some hi-temp teflon tape?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Need to make sure you have all the air bled out of the engine too,
This is the most likely cause.
Those of us that own XJ's too are all to familiar to this especially the renix.
Pull the top radiator hole and fill the coolant from it and watch in the radiator
till you see it come up through the cores then slide the hose back on and
finish filling it.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Careful using teflon tape on electrical sending units. If they are not grounded properly, they will not work. I use the brush on sealer when dealing with electrical senders.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
kp33
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Careful using teflon tape on electrical sending units. If they are not grounded properly, they will not work. I use the brush on sealer when dealing with electrical senders.
what is the best way to ground it, I was planning on running my own 14gauge wire from the sensing unit to the pin on the back of my speedo and not using the existing wire, so if I do that how do I ground it.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
kp33
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Also it only was leaking after the top portion exploded off, no leak before then.
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just saying, in general, be careful using Teflon tape on electrical sending units. I've seen people add a ground to the case of the sending unit before. Your gauge will not read accurately if you don't ground it.

I'd say the sending unit you installed was faulty from the factory. I know most auto parts stores will not return a sending unit once its been installed, but they should exchange it for free.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.