Anyone ever build a home made frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone ever build a home made frame?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
jonnythunder
1999 WJ 

Anyone ever build a home made frame?

I was wondering if any of you have attempted to build a frame? If you have please post some pictures. I would love to see how creative you got. I'm lucky, I have a complete fab shop at my disposal, and I can build one for under $600.00. I did some measuring, and had our in house cad designer make me a drawing. This thing is going to be awesome! I begin construction in 4 weeks!!!

Unread 11-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
cj newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythunder
I was wondering if any of you have attempted to build a frame? If you have please post some pictures. I would love to see how creative you got. I'm lucky, I have a complete fab shop at my disposal, and I can build one for under $600.00. I did some measuring, and had our in house cad designer make me a drawing. This thing is going to be awesome! I begin construction in 4 weeks!!!

interested in sharing the CAD drawing?
cj newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I have the original frame specs with all the factory measurements if you would like it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
cj newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
I have the original frame specs with all the factory measurements if you would like it.
is it a drawing, or just the specs? i have vendors who are machine shops, but they would need a CAD drawing.

thanks
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj newbie
is it a drawing, or just the specs? i have vendors who are machine shops, but they would need a CAD drawing.

thanks
It is a line drawing in JPEG format.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
cj newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
It is a line drawing in JPEG format.
sure ... send it over if you dont mind ... slow1.8t@snet.net

thanks mike.
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj newbie
sure ... send it over if you dont mind ... slow1.8t@snet.net

thanks mike.
Done, you are welcome.
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
cj newbie

got it ... thanks mike.
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
jonnythunder
1999 WJ 

I will definitely share the cad drawing, after I build mine. I'm sure there are going to be things that need changing. I might build a couple of these frames and sell them too, I think that a lot of people would be interested in a beefy frame, for under a $1000. I will post pics as soon as I get it completed.
Unread 11-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
pkt1213

That would be pretty sweet. Are they for a 5 or 7 or what?
pkt1213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
jason m
your ad here...

heres the back half of my YJ frame, not quite what your looking for but it might give you some ideas. i used the stock frame and cut behing the rear and added 1 3/4'' tube. i have a 4x2 3/16 sub frame made but no pictures, i was going to use it for a rockwell buggy but thats on hold, jason.
my-jeep-2.jpg  
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35039
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
cj newbie

Quote:
I will definitely share the cad drawing, after I build mine. I'm sure there are going to be things that need changing. I might build a couple of these frames and sell them too, I think that a lot of people would be interested in a beefy frame, for under a $1000. I will post pics as soon as I get it completed.
thanks jonny ... please do keep us posted once the frame is complete and working
Unread 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
SkyHarborCowboy
1983 CJ7 

It seems to me that about 10 years ago in one of the magazines (it could have been Off Road or Petersens 4wheel Drive)there was a guy with a green Scrambler that built his frame out of 2x6 or 3x6 rectangular tubing. He picked up all of the stock mounting points if I remember correctly. It was very nicely done.

Joe

Joe

1983 Jeep CJ7 258 6 Cylinder with Weber Offroad Carb, HEI Ignition, Front and Rear Lock Right Lockers, Slick Rock Spring Hangers, 4" Suspension, Stainless Brake Lines and Quick Disconnects, TJ Flares, 33" BFG MT's, T5 speed (Soon To Be SM465 with Novak Adapter), Roll Cage, Smittybilt Double Tube Bumpers Front and Rear (They will be narrowed soon)
SkyHarborCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
insadj05

insadj05

I would be interested in buying a frame from you once you have this done. I have a 77 cj7 and the frame to say the least is nasty.
I am a newbie also.
insadj05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.