Anyone done the T-18 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anyone done the T-18 swap

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-07-2002, 12:17 PM   #1
Bulletproofcj7

Anyone done the T-18 swap

I found a T-18 for free! but its out of a ford 4x4 truck and the shafts and housings are wrong, ive heard of people doing this swap with a two wheel drive ford T-18 but not the one i have. if anyone has any first hand experience that they can share id appreciate it.
Jason

1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2002, 01:48 PM   #2
cjryder

No firsthand experience yet, bulletproof, but I have done a little research. I too have a T-18 from a 2wd Ford truck. Everyone tells me the following:
1. To bolt up to the 304, I would need a T-150 bellhousing
2. tranny will work with my dana 20 but I will need an adaptor
(This is the expensive part)
3. front shaft will be too short
4. rear shaft will be too long
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 11:02 AM   #3
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

Well to answer your questions we need more info. such as year of your jeep, what motor your running, do you want to run a dana 20 or dana 300 transfer case, etc I swapped in j10 t18 by swapping in an ford t18 input shaft and a new pilot bushing from parts mike. (www.partsmike.com) I used a j10 t18 because it already has the adapter to the dana 20. I ended up spending about 350 on tranny and input all together.
hope that helps,
Bob
Unread 10-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #4
dana60cj

The truck I got mine out of was a 4x4. I just bought the adapters from advance adapters and it went right in after some tapping on the 258 to t-4 bellhousing.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
2J's

I did the swap a few years ago. I put it into an 81 CJ7 w/ 151 Iron Duke 4 banger. I think I got everything I needed from NOVAK ( see their website) They also drilled and tapped the Chevy bellhousing to accept the T-18.It was really pretty painless unless you include trying to lift that muther into place. Man, that is one heavy tranny!

Hope that helped some.
2J's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 03:27 PM   #6
Bulletproofcj7

Is this conversion worth it?

Thanks for the info guys!
Rock, Mine is going between a 304 and a 300.
I called novak and found that its going to cost me about $550. to put my free tranny in. The adapters included for that price are the t-18 to d-300 adapt. with a built in mount and a dual pattern so i can clock my 300, the tail shaft, the tranny mount and a pilot bushing to compensate for the shorter input shaft of the t-18.
I will also need a friction plate to fit the 1 1/16 dia. shaft, and need to have the old bell housing holes filled in and drill and tap new ones to match the T-18.
Is it worth it to clock the transfercase with this tranny? the t-18 seems like it will hang about 2" lower than the t-5 was and doesnt look like ill be able to mount it high enough to run a new flat skid pan from frame rail to rail like i could with the t-5
Anyone know of any other advantages to clocking the t-case other than ground clearance?
Is this conversion worth it? are you guys happy with yours? Ideally i'd put an nv4500 in for the decent low gear and nice overdrive for the road, but its just to damn expensive!
Thanks again for your input guys!
-Jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...

Last edited by Bulletproofcj7; 10-11-2002 at 06:45 PM..
Unread 10-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #7
hollywood

If you were to run a bigger lift, you could clock it down for a better angle on the rear shaft. Speaking of which, what's the difference in overall length - will you need new shafts?

P.S. Nothing is free - I'll be expecting my finders fee
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2002, 08:20 AM   #8
Bulletproofcj7

AAAAIIINNT! (sp) WRONG!

The rear driveshaft comes out of the center of the t- case, pivoting on the driveshafts axis, hence not changing the position of the driveshaft! But i knew you meant to say the front driveshaft!
The length is the same with the adapter from novak so i can retain the stock shafts! good thing too, cause im broke!
As far as your finders fee........ It all comes out in the wash right!
Welcom back!
Unread 10-13-2002, 08:32 PM   #9
hollywood

Yeah, I meant to say front, but my brain is sunburned. There were'nt many Jeeps down in Aruba - I saw one YJ with thornbirds, but he obviosly had no clue
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.