Anyone With A CJ-7 On A TJ Chassis? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange Grove
Posts: 26
Anyone With A CJ-7 On A TJ Chassis?

Yes, I know it's a strange question....and I've used the search button.

My brother has an '80 CJ-7 that he bought brand new. It's been sitting for ~15 years now and he's ready to go through it and make it a nice driver that he can 'wheel on the weekends. After driving several different Jeeps, I think I'd like to swap his body onto a TJ chassis. I've seen several for sale with D44's, long arm suspensions, etc that will fit into his build budget, so finding a donor shouldn't be too hard.

I'm no stranger to complete builds, I've just never had the opportunity to look at a CJ and a TJ side by side.

Any leads?

Outlaw1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton
Posts: 2,960
The TJ frame is wider. It would take some fabrication to make it work but probably isn't impossible. But the question is why? What would you gain from this?
Pathkiller is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
brownbagg
Registered User
1930 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pearl
Posts: 2,470
huh, maybe a cool looking jeep that rides good, huh maybe
brownbagg is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,267
I would honestly try to do a CJ grill swap onto a TJ before trying a full on Tub swap, probably difficult, but not impossible.
JeepnBlake is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
CJ Chet
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Posts: 2,576
You need a TDK Hybrid frame. It's a CJ7 frame with a TJ suspension.

http://throttledownkustoms.com/framesHybrid.html

'86 CJ7
'04 AEV RUBICON
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
CJ Chet is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM
brownbagg
Registered User
1930 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pearl
Posts: 2,470
let see 3000 for a frame and then still have to add the suspension. I do what the orignal poster wants in a hearbeat. body mounts aint **** to do. couple hundred at the most.
brownbagg is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange Grove
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
The TJ frame is wider. It would take some fabrication to make it work but probably isn't impossible. But the question is why? What would you gain from this?
I already tried to talk him into building a TJ, but he wants his CJ back on the road and he wants it updated. If we're starting fresh, I can't think of any reason to keep the CJ chassis, they don't drive anywhere near as good as TJ's.

Locally I found a clean '97 TJ for $6k with a 4.0/5-speed, mild lift, fresh tires, etc that would make a good donor. Trying to get a 30 year old chassis into shape after it's been sitting for 15 years will get up to $6k real quick like...and you'll still have a 30 year old, outdated chassis. The CJ body will get sent off to get media blasted, the rust repaired, lined and painted regardless of the chassis, so that part of the budget is what it is. Rough estimating, he can still stay ~$15k'ish for the whole build.

Just a few of the 'whys' of a TJ chassis in no particular order.

Stronger frame.
Power steering.
Power brakes.
Front swaybar.
MUCH better ride quality.
Bolt-on long arm suspensions.
Easy to find bolt-in Dana 44's.
Fuel injected 4.0 w/overdrive transmission.
Cruise control.
Air conditioner.

The list goes on and on....
Outlaw1 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange Grove
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
let see 3000 for a frame and then still have to add the suspension. I do what the orignal poster wants in a hearbeat. body mounts aint **** to do. couple hundred at the most.
Agreed.

I'm just wondering about all the little things that will nickle and dime my time fabricating stuff. For instance, clutch pedal mounting for the hydraulic master, steering column, brake booster mounting, etc.

I found a couple of guys that have done it before, I'm just waiting on replies.
Outlaw1 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
I already tried to talk him into building a TJ, but he wants his CJ back on the road and he wants it updated. If we're starting fresh, I can't think of any reason to keep the CJ chassis, they don't drive anywhere near as good as TJ's.

Locally I found a clean '97 TJ for $6k with a 4.0/5-speed, mild lift, fresh tires, etc that would make a good donor. Trying to get a 30 year old chassis into shape after it's been sitting for 15 years will get up to $6k real quick like...and you'll still have a 30 year old, outdated chassis. The CJ body will get sent off to get media blasted, the rust repaired, lined and painted regardless of the chassis, so that part of the budget is what it is. Rough estimating, he can still stay ~$15k'ish for the whole build.

Just a few of the 'whys' of a TJ chassis in no particular order.

Stronger frame.
Power steering.
Power brakes.
Front swaybar.
MUCH better ride quality.
Bolt-on long arm suspensions.
Easy to find bolt-in Dana 44's.
Fuel injected 4.0 w/overdrive transmission.
Cruise control.
Air conditioner.

The list goes on and on....

Power steering, brakes, front sway bar, ride quality are all possible and stock for many CJs.

I personally love the look of the CJ, but I DD a TJ and FI, OD, AC, CC are all very nice, but if you want all those things you may end up finding you'll have to move a lot of stuff over to the CJ. (HVAC, and all its controls/knobs, much if not most of the wiring, computer, fuel tank, plumbing etc.)


If you're planning to do bolt in 44s and a long arm kit it might be just as easy doing all of which to the CJ, since you'll already have the tub off, it wouldn't be hard to fix up/mod the frame since nearly all of it will be exposed anyway.

My $0.02, take if for what it's worth.
JeepnBlake is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange Grove
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
Power steering, brakes, front sway bar, ride quality are all possible and stock for many CJs.

I personally love the look of the CJ, but I DD a TJ and FI, OD, AC, CC are all very nice, but if you want all those things you may end up finding you'll have to move a lot of stuff over to the CJ. (HVAC, and all its controls/knobs, much if not most of the wiring, computer, fuel tank, plumbing etc.)


If you're planning to do bolt in 44s and a long arm kit it might be just as easy doing all of which to the CJ, since you'll already have the tub off, it wouldn't be hard to fix up/mod the frame since nearly all of it will be exposed anyway.

My $0.02, take if for what it's worth.
Sorry, this thread is turning into a debate, not a tech thread like I was hoping. What I was looking for was some specifics from anyone who has done this swap. I know I'll have to build body mounts, but I'm wondering about the steering column/shaft setup, brake booster/lines...all the little mechanical details. Electronics aren't an issue for me. From the schematics I've seen there shouldn't be many electronic issues, but I've been doing late model fuel injection swaps into hot rods and tuning them since the mid 90's, so I feel pretty comfortable around a wiring harness.

I'll try to explain a little more why I'm looking into this.

Currently the 1980 CJ has no power options and has been sitting rusting away for 15 years. Not only is it rusty, nearly every bit of rubber has rotted away. That includes belts, hoses, brake lines, wiring, etc. It all has to be replaced regardless. He would like to have some power options and have a reasonably nice ride. From a dollar and cents point of view, the later model chassis makes way more sense. By the time the original frame is stripped down & repaired (it's rusty as hell, imagine that...), axles rebuilt, suspension replaced, brakes rebuilt, steering updated, fuel system replaced, engine rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, transfercase rebuilt, cooling system, etc. replaced not only will still be a rebuilt outdated chassis but it will cost more than $6k by a long shot. I'm not sure if you've looked at any of the long arm conversions for a CJ, but they're VERY expensive just by themselves and they seem to be more geared towards serious crawlers.

He's dead set on having fuel injection, so there's no way of getting around wiring, fuel system, etc.

On another note, I'm looking for a TJ to build for myself after my brother's CJ is done. I have a spare mild LS7, 4L80E, some D60's and several other goodies that I've been gathering up here and there. His idea of a 'mild' build is way different than mine. Then again, when I'm home I daily drive a 732RWHP C6 Z06 and when I'm away I drive a 650+RWHP MegaCab dually.
Outlaw1 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 AM
T_TT
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 119
Just a thought. What about finding a YJ. Seems a lot of people have used the tub of the YJ to replace their rusted out CJ tub. You could just do the opposite and swap the CJ body onto the YJ.

Current: 95 YJ - 2" BDS, 31" procomp MT's (a work in progress)
07 WK
Previous: 76 CJ5, 93 YJ, 98 TJ
T_TT is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 AM
243
Registered User
1978 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
Sorry, this thread is turning into a debate, not a tech thread like I was hoping. What I was looking for was some specifics from anyone who has done this swap.
It is turning into a debate because nobody on this forum has put a CJ body on a TJ frame. If your brother wants to do the project, post a build thread and get busy and be the first.

I downloaded the CJ and TJ frame drawings and tried to pre-visualize the problems but gave up. For me, I would need to get a TJ and strip it to the frame, drop the CJ tub on the frame and start cutting and welding.

1978 Cherokee, TBI 360/T400/QT...6.0/6L80/NP241C in the works...
243 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM
brownbagg
Registered User
1930 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pearl
Posts: 2,470
if you was thinking you could pull this off for 15k, it be cheaper, smarter to buy a used rubicon for 15k. now if you can do it for 2k then go for it but anything over 3k finish product is a waste of time and money because it still will only be worth 3k
brownbagg is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
Sorry, this thread is turning into a debate, not a tech thread like I was hoping. What I was looking for was some specifics from anyone who has done this swap. I know I'll have to build body mounts, but I'm wondering about the steering column/shaft setup, brake booster/lines...all the little mechanical details. Electronics aren't an issue for me. From the schematics I've seen there shouldn't be many electronic issues, but I've been doing late model fuel injection swaps into hot rods and tuning them since the mid 90's, so I feel pretty comfortable around a wiring harness.

I'll try to explain a little more why I'm looking into this.

Currently the 1980 CJ has no power options and has been sitting rusting away for 15 years. Not only is it rusty, nearly every bit of rubber has rotted away. That includes belts, hoses, brake lines, wiring, etc. It all has to be replaced regardless. He would like to have some power options and have a reasonably nice ride. From a dollar and cents point of view, the later model chassis makes way more sense. By the time the original frame is stripped down & repaired (it's rusty as hell, imagine that...), axles rebuilt, suspension replaced, brakes rebuilt, steering updated, fuel system replaced, engine rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, transfercase rebuilt, cooling system, etc. replaced not only will still be a rebuilt outdated chassis but it will cost more than $6k by a long shot. I'm not sure if you've looked at any of the long arm conversions for a CJ, but they're VERY expensive just by themselves and they seem to be more geared towards serious crawlers.

He's dead set on having fuel injection, so there's no way of getting around wiring, fuel system, etc.

On another note, I'm looking for a TJ to build for myself after my brother's CJ is done. I have a spare mild LS7, 4L80E, some D60's and several other goodies that I've been gathering up here and there. His idea of a 'mild' build is way different than mine. Then again, when I'm home I daily drive a 732RWHP C6 Z06 and when I'm away I drive a 650+RWHP MegaCab dually.

Makes sense to me.
JeepnBlake is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange Grove
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_TT View Post
Just a thought. What about finding a YJ. Seems a lot of people have used the tub of the YJ to replace their rusted out CJ tub. You could just do the opposite and swap the CJ body onto the YJ.
I've actually found several threads about a CJ on YJ chassis. The YJ still has a leaf spring suspension. It's better than the YJ, but not nearly as good as a TJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
It is turning into a debate because nobody on this forum has put a CJ body on a TJ frame. If your brother wants to do the project, post a build thread and get busy and be the first.

I downloaded the CJ and TJ frame drawings and tried to pre-visualize the problems but gave up. For me, I would need to get a TJ and strip it to the frame, drop the CJ tub on the frame and start cutting and welding.
To a certain extent that's what I'm going to do, but I've actually found some people that have done this swap. Now I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if you was thinking you could pull this off for 15k, it be cheaper, smarter to buy a used rubicon for 15k. now if you can do it for 2k then go for it but anything over 3k finish product is a waste of time and money because it still will only be worth 3k
He bought this Jeep brand new in October of 1979. It's his first vehicle and he has no intentions of ever getting rid of it, regardless of price. Your point about the resale value is valid, but not in this particular situation. $2k won't even get a halfway decent paint job, much less bodywork.
Outlaw1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
cj 6 chassis Q Folla Jeep CJ Forum 1 06-12-2010 06:54 PM
CJ with TJ chassis (YJ tub) Ezredcj Jeep CJ Forum 9 03-19-2010 02:56 PM
CJ7 chassis with a YJ tub?? brianwp324 Jeep CJ Forum 1 10-29-2009 09:17 PM
has any one used CHASSIS SAVER zachblamercj7 Jeep CJ Forum 2 09-03-2008 08:08 PM
Chassis value? Jeepfreak81 Jeep CJ Forum 1 09-07-2006 12:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome