anybody use this kit for Ign upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > anybody use this kit for Ign upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-24-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
Geer_hed

anybody use this kit for Ign upgrade?

Or even something like this kit. It's the cheap way around just ripping out the ignition altogether, but.... If you've found that it's garbage, puhleeaze let me know... I've got 3 days on ebay for one out on Ebay.

http://www.driveajeep.com/tfi/

Thanks..

Unread 11-24-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Brock

Search the board for "TFI".
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
Geer_hed

I'm a bit confused. There's no TFI reference on this board and the link is to the product manufacturer's TFI page. I guess I was hoping to get someone else's testimonial regarding this product, like someone who's not trying to sell it to me...
Unread 11-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
CJay7
1985 CJ7 

Here is a link to a write up on a similar kit that you can do yourself for less. This is what I used to build mine from only I went with a MSD ignition and coil at the same time. I wasn't having any problems to begin with but thought I would give it a shot since I got the MSD for free. I noticed a little difference but not much (again I did not have any problems before). If you are having any ignition or idle/acceleration problems I would give it a try. It seemed to smooth the idle a bit and accelerates a bit better. I did this after the Weber so I don't have a reference for a stock motor/carb.
Hope this helps.

http://www.jeepz.com/modules.php?op=...ile=engine_tfi
'85 CJ-7 - 258 bored .030 w/ mid level cam, 4.0 head, Clifford intake and header, Weber 38, TFI w/ MSD 6, Black Diamond 3" lift, Daystar 1/2" lift shackles, 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs with stock 3.31 gears.
CJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_hed
I'm a bit confused. There's no TFI reference on this board and the link is to the product manufacturer's TFI page. I guess I was hoping to get someone else's testimonial regarding this product, like someone who's not trying to sell it to me...
The simple search of this board lead me to these sites with tons of info:

Trailhead page

Jeepgod site

HEi upgrade
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Geer_hed

Ok. I'm going to do this upgrade regardless, I guess no one has actually purchased this juicebox POS, but I appreciate it. and thanks go to Brock for his Internet Search Utility witicisms. :P
Unread 11-24-2003, 09:26 PM   #7
SamFromCO

I did get the Juicebox. You can piece together the stuff in the kit but for me it was easier to just order the kit and get the instructions with it. It did seem to help a bit. I noticed my Jeep would rev a bit higher and it idled a little better. It's probably worth doing especially if you piece it together yourself.
Unread 11-25-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
40Below

I just did this MOD and I pieced my parts together from local parts stores for less than $100.00, I splurged on MSD wires that could be cut to fit since I could not find a quality short set, the one referenced in the TFI Board suggests using a V8 wire set but the shortest plug wire was 18" long the longest one I needed was not 18" so I built my own set with the MSD 8MM.

I found the coil, cap and rotor at auto zone for about $35, wires were $55. was a real easy project. I did not have bad idle issues and I have the stock Carter POS. I does start and idle better and I seem to have more top end. Over all I would do it agian if I had the choice.

84 CJ7 Laredo 258/T5 herced tub 86/D44 4.5"RE lift, 33Xterrains and a TWoods CV driveshaft Custom bumpers and tire rack.[COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club #140[/COLOR]
40Below is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
ImNotRyan

i did this mod for less than 20 dollars.

junkyard Cap/Rotor from 1982-84 ford F-150 = 4 bucks?
Advance auto TFI ignition coil for 1984 F-150 w/ 302 = 14.99
Plug wires i took off a magnum 318 i had around... freebie
Mount i made with stuff... freebie

Did i leave anything out?

This 14.99 coil is the regular version, there is also a 40 dollar high performance version. my thinking is that if this TFI coil was good enough to come stock on 302's pushing spark for 8 cylinders, and for as high as a stock 302 revs... 55-6000 RPM... this coil should be QUITE adequate for supplying my 258 with good spark thru its 6 cylinders, which may see a top end RPM of 3500-4000.

it works fantastic, you couldnt imagine the results... im simply blown away - and its the first thing i recomend to anybody with a 258!!! were talking 20 horsepower, much easier starts... its quite ridiculous. for the money i used - the gains i got.

This picture shows the coil mounted in the original coils location - a setup i am not sure i am going to keep... Yes AMC engineers believed the location was not too hot for a coil - but nobody accused AMC engineers of making the greatest decisions either. I may just make a heat sheild for it with some aluminum siding. My plug wires are also from a V8, and their length makes this look alot messier than it has to. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by ImNotRyan; 11-25-2003 at 11:30 AM..
ImNotRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 05:30 PM   #10
Geer_hed

Hey thanks.. yeah if I did this Mod, the coil is definitely not getting any closer to the block.. I've got a distributor on the way here as I type, but my no spark issue still has got to be resolved b4 I can worry about better idle, eh??

I'm thinking the Advance Auto plan is the best route to take if 40B can do it for less than I can buy it online. Thanks again!

I'll have to post some pics if for no other reason that you guys getting a laugh out of me standing in the middle of a mountain of used parts and wire, with a pissed lookin Jeep that stiiiiiillll doesn't run for SH*T...
Unread 11-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #11
40Below

Here is a picture of how my upgrade turned out.

84 CJ7 Laredo 258/T5 herced tub 86/D44 4.5"RE lift, 33Xterrains and a TWoods CV driveshaft Custom bumpers and tire rack.[COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club #140[/COLOR]
40Below is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.