Anybody running propane? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anybody running propane?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

Anybody running propane?

I posted these questions in the ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN section and got 0 response so I will try here. I bought a propane system on ebay (still in transit) for my 360. I deliver propane for a living but we don't have any propane powered vehicles and I've not been around one.

I am looking for any tips on getting the system up and running. This is a single fuel setup that replaces the carb. I am also looking for suggestions on tanks. I am debating between using forklift cylinders or mounting a permanent tank. My rig is a weekend trail warrior so 20 gal or so should get me through most weekends. I can always carry a portable to refuel a permanent tank if I went that route. Any pics of how you mounted your tanks would be appreciated.

Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

see if you can get connected with the guys from extreme 4x4. they just did a build with a propane/gas engine (it could switch between the two) and i'm sure if you watched the episode or emailed them on it they would help you out.
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Subscribed....I still want to run prop in mine some day.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeephammer had a great post on this a week or 2 ago.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
pazur
1981 CJ7 

Man try some european forums many guys use propane systems mostly with 4 or 4.2Ĺ or v8. These days MPI units became more afordable than few years ago but still cost close to 1000 US$. If you sell propane (I assume propane bottles) it won't make much sense to use permanent tank. I would not use system off the ebay I love to be alive.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I live up in Canada and the propane vehicles have to be dual fuel. They can't start on propane in the real cold, it won't flow so they start on gas and have heaters for the propane line I think they told me. Some taxi cabs just use single fuel ok because they never shut them down.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

I deliver bulk propane. I'm thinking I'd rather have a fixed tank as I can just swing by my house anytime and top the jeep off.

I don't use the jeep in the winter cause I don't have time, so I'm not concerned about cold weather starting.

The guy I bought from on ebay is from Canada and seemed reputable. All components are supposed to be rebuilt with new gaskets. I feel propane is safer than gasoline. Think about it....completely sealed system, tank material 1/4" thick vs sheet metal, hoses are triple braided vs plain old rubber.

As I have quite a bit of lift with 35" tires I would really like to mount the tank in the vicinity of the gasoline tank. I would definitely put a heavy duty skid plate under it.

I'm not concerned with the mechanics of installing the system, I'm a service tech and that stuff is pretty straight forward. It's tuning the engine that I need some pointers on. Hopefully somebody with experience will chime in. I'm gonna go google Mr. Hammers post.
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.