Anybody mount 4 point harnesses in their CJ7? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anybody mount 4 point harnesses in their CJ7?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
Jonesie
1981 CJ5 

My buddy, who races Miatas, suggested something like this to me:

Simpson Racing 31020 - Simpson Restraint Mounting Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Considering these for my rig.

Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Those are what was installed on my Jeep when I got it with 3 point harnesses installed.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daladim View Post
That's nice, and will go well with my plans for this Jeep. I have actually been doing a bit more research since I posted this question. Guess I should have done so before asking the question. As it turns out, it looks like I am going to have to go this route. My original idea sounds like it is dangerous.

I'll have to forgo mounting these belts this summer, and just wait until I can afford to build the cage first. This means I'm gonna have to find somebody to fix the stock belt on the passenger side.

Have you got any pictures of how you mounted the belts to that cross bar from Rock Hard? And how does that bar effect the recline-ability of the seats? Is there much room between the seat and the bar at all?
I don't have reclining seats, but here are some photos that should answer your questions. The bar bolts to the OEM roll bar, it's made for the wrap around style belts so I just put in some good I-bolts.
pict0527.jpg   pict0529.jpg  

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

I looked deep into this recently--I'll be getting 4 points soon

Here's some of what I found

If you leave the stock belts in, you'll be ok -- I will, but I'm only putting it on if I get pulled over before the cop walks up next to me

Just keep the stock one tucked away but convenient just in case-- having the doors off could reveal that you aren't using the stock belts if the cop is close enough though.

Otherwise-- a harness bar is a necessity-- sending the belts to the floor is bad for 2 main reasons (1) That isn't a very strong location (2) it will strain harness loops in the seats, or strain directly on your shoulders in a serious situation-- the belts purpose is to keep you and the seat securely and stiffly attached together inside the car without anything become loose/falling off

more on legality-- In most places, the laws only require what would have come on it, or modifications that would have been legal at that time- I have seen lots of people who say they only had 2 point stock, including myself.
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

cj chet---

Is the the bar from "Rock Hard 4x4?"
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #21
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

I'm picking safe over legal, sorry. Here in the midwest we're very lax on legality issues like that anyways. I use my lap belts only in town but when heading on the highway I put them all on. It is more restrictive, no doubt. I plan on going to the Corbeau belts sometime because it really is a pain to strap in to my 5 points. I'm used to it but getting someone new in them is a treat.
Unread 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #22
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

Seat belts can do more harm than good if installed incorrectly!

IMHO, a 4-point harness shouldn't even be considered. If you do anything like that, get a 5-point. The reason being, when you cinch up the shoulder belts, it pulls the lap belt up on your gut which will mess you up good in an accident. The 5-belt that goes down between your legs is NOT to keep you from sliding down under the lap belt like some think. It is to keep the shoulder belts from pulling the lap belt up to an unsafe height.

If you are going to consider a 5-point harness (it would apply to a 4 point as well), do NOT bring the belts down and attatch them to the floor. This can cause spinal compression in an accident and leave you worse off than before. You must have a bar connected about shoulder height for the belts to attatch to to make sure this doesn't happen.

And when you attatch your belts to the roll bar, don't simply drill a hole in the bar and throw a bolt through it. That just weakens the bar and gives it a point at which it will kink easily and result in minimal protection. Either welt on tabs, or better yet, loop the belts around the bar and weld simple loops around the bar to keep the belts from sliding side to side. This way there is no integrity loss to the roll bar itself.

IMHO, for a street driven vehicle, the 3 point is the best option. If you need something more for the trail, skip the 4 point and go to a 5 point PROPERLY installed.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgump View Post
cj chet---

Is the the bar from "Rock Hard 4x4?"
Yes it is!!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Wow, Thanks for all the information guys! After reading everything here, I think I am going to reconsider my plans for the 4 point harness and just stick with what I got. I like the idea of the extra protection, but it seems like such a hassle to install them, and I have VERY minimal tools and capability to do the job, let alone minimal funds. I'm not really a hardcore wheeler, not competition material anyway, so going with a racing harness may not be the best option for me.

Thanks again for the help!
Daladim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.