Anybody mount 4 point harnesses in their CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anybody mount 4 point harnesses in their CJ7?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Anybody mount 4 point harnesses in their CJ7?

I'm looking at putting 4 point harnesses in my CJ7, and I'm trying to figure out how to mount them. I'm eyeballing these right now:

Corbeau Racing Harness 3 4 Point Harness Safety Belts Race Harness 5 Point Race Retractable Belts

They come in either bolt in or snap in, and I'm not sure which I should go with. My seats, once they get upholstered, will have slots for the upper straps built into them, so I will have gotten that far with the installation. But where do I bolt them down at?

I would think that simply using the seat riser bolts on the back of the seats would be unwise, even if it would make mounting easier. I would also assume that I need to have some kind of support to where the bolts will mount at.

Anybody have some pictures of how to mount these, or some insight as to how I would go about doing such a modification?

Thanks much!

Daladim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

I have five points in my CJ7 but have a front cage so not sure if my mounting will help but here's a pic for you.

I can probably load up some more pics if you need, just let me know.
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

Found the rest, here ya go!

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Is it street legal to run a 4/5 point harness?

Sorry for the thread jack.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the pic, but that's not really gonna help me. My interior is bone stock except for the seats, which are out of a Fiero. I don't intend on welding in a cage just to get the seatbelts mounted. Of course the cage will come eventually, but I plan on going with a Rock Hard Bolt -in cage meself.

My only option is to mount these to the floor pan somewhere. Do I need to weld in reinforcements, or can I just plant some bolts into the pan? The reason I am going this direction is that the PO replaced the pan on the passenger side, and didn't get the seatbelt hole replaced on the outside of the seat. So I don't have a passenger side belt at all. I figure if I got to do seatbelt work, why not upgrade them as well?
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

The best mounting of the shoulder harness is a bar like I have on the top. The lap belts could (and I had them) mount in the factory belt locations. The factory mounts have a nut welded on the back side with a reinforcement plate in the body.
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post

Near as I can tell it woul be street legal. And why not? It is a safety belt...

I just want to make sure mine is safe. I think using the seat mounts would run the risk of tearing the seats out of the floor in an accident, so I need to confirm this and or learn how to mount them into the floor properly.
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
The best mounting of the shoulder harness is a bar like I have on the top. The lap belts could (and I had them) mount in the factory belt locations. The factory mounts have a nut welded on the back side with a reinforcement plate in the body.
So then if I buy these harnesses, I'm gonna need to do some fabrication in order to use them, right?
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I used one of these. It's a bolt-on piece and works very well. I have the snap-in belts since I only use them when wheeling.

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - Shopping Cart

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
I used one of these. It's a bolt-on piece and works very well. I have the snap-in belts since I only use them when wheeling.

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - Shopping Cart
That's nice, and will go well with my plans for this Jeep. I have actually been doing a bit more research since I posted this question. Guess I should have done so before asking the question. As it turns out, it looks like I am going to have to go this route. My original idea sounds like it is dangerous.

I'll have to forgo mounting these belts this summer, and just wait until I can afford to build the cage first. This means I'm gonna have to find somebody to fix the stock belt on the passenger side.

Have you got any pictures of how you mounted the belts to that cross bar from Rock Hard? And how does that bar effect the recline-ability of the seats? Is there much room between the seat and the bar at all?
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

No it is Not street legal.

Those are 'racing' harnesses that don't allow you to do a proper shoulder check for lane changes so they cannot be used on the street.

Folks that have daily drivers need to leave the stock 3 point harnesses in for daily driving and then use the second set of 4 or 5 points for off road only.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
No it is Not street legal.

Those are 'racing' harnesses that don't allow you to do a proper shoulder check for lane changes so they cannot be used on the street.

Folks that have daily drivers need to leave the stock 3 point harnesses in for daily driving and then use the second set of 4 or 5 points for off road only.
What if my rig only came with a 2 point? Should I just leave that in then or would the lower 2 straps of the 4 point be sufficient.

This is where I get confused because I am also told it is illegal to only a have a 2 point but that is the stock way it came. Some law that says vehicles past a certain year must have 3 points and I think my 76 meets that.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
What if my rig only came with a 2 point? Should I just leave that in then or would the lower 2 straps of the 4 point be sufficient.

This is where I get confused because I am also told it is illegal to only a have a 2 point but that is the stock way it came. Some law that says vehicles past a certain year must have 3 points and I think my 76 meets that.
Everywhere I have lived, you were allowed to have what it came with stock, but you should check your local laws. If it only had lap belts like my 76 Chevy pickup did, that was legal.

I also see folks with both sets in for some reason, so that implies they just use one or the other.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Everywhere I have lived, you were allowed to have what it came with stock, but you should check your local laws. If it only had lap belts like my 76 Chevy pickup did, that was legal.

I also see folks with both sets in for some reason, so that implies they just use one or the other.
Alright, thank you for clearing that up.

Sorry for the thread jack Daladim.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

My Jeeping buddy installed a 4 point harness and removed them within about 3 weeks. They are a pain in the @$$ for a daily driver. Besides putting them on and taking them off he could reach the cig lighter, pick up something he dropped on the floorboard and had difficulty looking over his shoulder to back up.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.