Anybody had any luck replacing tailgate end support - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
scorpion26
1977 CJ7 

Anybody had any luck replacing tailgate end support

So for a couple different reasons, the piece(s) of metal directly above the rear cross-member on my cj7- I'm pretty sure it's the tailgate end support- it's where the tops of the rear body mounts bolt into and it runs all the way across the rear of the body.
this is the part i nee to replace:
rear view:

So now that I'm pretty sure I've i.d.'ed the right part, let me ask the questions.
Has any of you ever replaced this thing? how did it go? did you have to take the tub completely off the frame, or were you able to just take it loose and jack it up a little bit? From what I can tell, it's spot welded to the body, is this true?

basically any tips/suggestions will help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

You won't be able to remove or install that piece without having full access to the area and that means tub removal. Welds will have to be ground down and spot welds need to be drilled in order to remove. You will even want to turn the tub upside down in order to get to most of the welds that are holding the splash panel part of it to the rear floor section. I had a similar repair to make to a brand new Repli-tub that the tailgate support was not made correctly in order to fit over the stock gas tank location. PIA to do and my tub was completely of the frame.

But, if you are really set against removing the tub for this type of repair, then at least remove the gas tank and see what you are up against and what will be in the way. Anything is possible as long as you have the right tools at hand and trying to replace that piece with the tub mounted to the frame is going to limit your ability to maneuver any tool around to gain access to welds that must be removed.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #3 of 3 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
jsonhd

very detailed pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.