Anybody ever try putting Monstaliner or other good bed liner over Herculiner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anybody ever try putting Monstaliner or other good bed liner over Herculiner?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Anybody ever try putting Monstaliner or other good bed liner over Herculiner?

It is getting to the point that I am tired of the look and feel of the Herculiner in the floorboard of my Jeep and was wondering if anyone had applied a better liner material that is UV stable over their existing bed liner. I am curious as to how well it will adhere and the longevity.

Thanks,

Tom

jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Are you saying that Monstaliner is a good bed liner? If so, that's the best joke I've heard in a long time.
If I could find an easy way to remove this crapola from the interior of my CJ7, I would. This stuff is a death trap waiting to happen. Try having the slightest amount of sweat or water on the bottom of your feet and trying to walk on it. My 6 year old neice almost bit my roll bar from slipping on this junk.

Monstaliner is junk and so is their Chasis Saver...........
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I'll be glad when fad of bed lining CJ interiors is over. Looks like crap in pretty short order, impossible to clean.

That said, go find a Line X dealer. That's the only bed liner that is really worth anything.
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

I can't imagine that Monstaliner would be any more slick than a painted floor pan. I was hoping for something a little more constructive than that.
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddict1
I can't imagine that Monstaliner would be any more slick than a painted floor pan. I was hoping for something a little more constructive than that.
Nope. He summed it up pretty well.

I didn't put it in or on my CJ. I got some and tried it out before I thought about trusting a used car salesman. I put it in the Texas sun for almost a year and it did not hold up like I thought it would.

Getting ready to do the same test with raptor liner.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Whelp, I gave my input and feedback from an incident that happened with this product. Not sure how that wouldn't help you with your decision? Anyways, best of luck to you and if you're looking for certain information on a product, make sure you let us know prior. That way i wouldn't have wasted my time responding.......
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

With the Herculiner that I already have in the floorboard of my jeep, I am looking for something to go over it that will help tone down the very rough texture, give it some UV protection and make it look a little better. I was mainly looking for how well it would adhere to the herculiner. Since the herculiner is so heavily textured, no matter what brand of bed liner I put over it, it will not be slick when wet.
Unread 09-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If you're going to apply anything over someone else's product it's best to just give them a call and ask questions. You can take any of the bedliner off though, or undercoating for that matter. Just use aircraft stripper on it. I did that to the bottom of my tub and it worked great.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
If you're going to apply anything over someone else's product it's best to just give them a call and ask questions. You can take any of the bedliner off though, or undercoating for that matter. Just use aircraft stripper on it. I did that to the bottom of my tub and it worked great.
Even the safer Citristrip I found at Home Depot worked great at removing my Herculiner.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

They are all urethanes and they all stick to just about anything pretty well. I put a similar coating made for waterproofing roofs on my deck/garage roof and it stuck to anything it touched - dirty shovels, dirty hose, etc. Very difficult to get off. I am sure it would stick to herculiner.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I would think something like Line-x would be better, as it would be professionally done and have a warranty.

As for the comments about the dad of doing it, honestly I think it'd hold up better than the paint did in mine. The dirt between the floor mats and the tub took the paint right off, and if I have anything in on the floor it has the tendency to scratch thru the paint. I just want something smooth, so that dirt, sand and mud easily rinse out and not get caught in a textured coating.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I would think something like Line-x would be better, as it would be professionally done and have a warranty.

As for the comments about the dad of doing it, honestly I think it'd hold up better than the paint did in mine. The dirt between the floor mats and the tub took the paint right off, and if I have anything in on the floor it has the tendency to scratch thru the paint. I just want something smooth, so that dirt, sand and mud easily rinse out and not get caught in a textured coating.
Line-X is certainly not smooth.

I intend to do mine with Rustoleum bedliner. It is fairly tough, fairly smooth, cheap, and easy to touch up.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post

That's the trouble with any liner. None of them are smooth, and they all look dirty after awhile, and you can't get them clean.
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
my1986cj7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddict1 View Post
It is getting to the point that I am tired of the look and feel of the Herculiner in the floorboard of my Jeep and was wondering if anyone had applied a better liner material that is UV stable over their existing bed liner. I am curious as to how well it will adhere and the longevity.

Thanks,

Tom
Unfortunately I think your best bet will be getting a needle gun or stripper and taking it back down to metal and cleaning it up good and replacing it with one that is UV resistant. Just my opinion.

Last edited by my1986cj7; 09-23-2013 at 09:46 PM..
my1986cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Boover
1985 CJ7 

I've seen some bed liners sprayed over existing ones in actual truck beds. You can see the layers when the tailgate is lowered sometimes. Anyways, it seems to work fairly well. I think they key (as with any paint/finishing work) would be to prep it properly. Make sure it's free of any contaminants and such.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.