Anybody ever replace lower steering column bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Anybody ever replace lower steering column bearing

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
agear
1984 CJ7 

Anybody ever replace lower steering column bearing

Can anybody give me instructions on replacing this bearing kit. My questions being how did you get the old bearing off ? How did you install the new one ? How far does it go on ? Or any other particulars

kgrhqf-lme-hkqjfbrbp5qiuidjw-60_35.jpg   photo-20jul-2025-207-2047-2017-20pm.jpg  
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
FamousJerry
2014 JK Wrangler 

It was the easy and mine just tapped out and if fell into my hand.
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

I did mine not to long ago I think maybe I had to cut the race off but other than that it was easy, I did pull my column though.
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
agear
1984 CJ7 

What prompted you to replace it ?
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
agear
1984 CJ7 

So you just pull the steering shaft and tap the bearing out from the little opening ?
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
ramthis12
1977 CJ5 

Pull the clip off and the end cover. The plastic piece should pop off pretty easy. I cut my bearing off with a dremel while it was still in the column. Just need to be careful and not mark up the shaft when you cut through. Clean up the shaft with a 3M pad and a little lube to install the bearing. Press the new bearing into the white plastic holder until you hear it snap into place. Then slide the bearing and plastic holder into place on the shaft. it only goes on one way. The cover and clip will align it to the proper height when you put them on.
ramthis12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Mine had fallen apart. My plastic piece was different the notches were bigger go figure I reused my old one but it worked great.
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
DougE
1983 CJ7 

You must disconnect the lower steering shaft in the engine compartment from the steering assembly in the tub. Do this by removing the clamping bolt inside the yellow circle in your picture. Then pull the retaining clip in the lower right hand corner of the other picture and the bearing assembly should drop out the bottom, maybe with a little persuasion. If the slide connection in the lower steering shaft is frozen you may have to un-bolt the upper steering assembly so it can slide up a bit.
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I had to replace mine. The bearing had fallen apart at some point adding play into the steering wheel. The only trouble I had was getting off the race. It was completely ceased to the upper column. I used a mini hacksaw to cut into it, then banged it with a chisel to pop it loose. Otherwise no trouble. I did not have to remove the whole column. Just the upper part
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Replaced mine recently also. Had to cut the old one off with a Dremel tool then tap it off with a hammer and chisel. It was some time before I installed the new bearing, but it was pretty intuitive... had the new bearing on in just a few minutes... very easy.

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
agear
1984 CJ7 

Yeah, turns out , the needle bearings in my old bearings were not present. It is a pain in the *** to get the steering shaft off the lower splined part of the steering column. I had to hammer down on it more than I wanted and in a extremely confined space to swing the hammer. I also ended up cutting the inner bearing race off the steering column shaft and then filed down the burs from the cut. Then , as mentioned above, I packed the new bearing with more grease and took a piece of wood and tapped the new bearing into the plastic retainer thing. Then I used a deep 1 1/8 socket and tapped the new bearing with retainer up the shaft until the raised part of the retainer went all the way into the cut out for that. While doing that you have to have someone jam a pry bar on the lower part of the steering column and that tube to keep the shaft from moving up while you tap the bearing and retainer all the way up in the cut out. Be careful not to bend the tube when prying.Now that I think of it you might be able to put some vise grips on the shaft and up against the tube to keep it from moving up while hammering. Then just line up and install the metal cap thing and clip. Then you have to center the steering shaft up and hammer the shaft back onto the steering column spines. Way too much hammering on my recently new steering shaft. Know that some of this job can be a pain in the ***. But it's done and no more knock knock in the steering. Thanks for the help fellas
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

i'm about to do mine. The lower bearing just drops down and touches the lower hd borgeson steering shaft. I noticed when I pulled the old oem steering shaft out the upper steering shaft could move up and down. Is this normal? Is the lower bearing supposed to be plastic? It slips thru the retainer that has lock ring on it. Also is there a upper steering column bearing i should replace as well?

Last edited by TRUVOL; 08-22-2013 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: added another question
TRUVOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUVOL View Post
i'm about to do mine. The lower bearing just drops down and touches the lower hd borgeson steering shaft. I noticed when I pulled the old oem steering shaft out the upper steering shaft could move up and down. Is this normal? Is the lower bearing supposed to be plastic? It slips thru the retainer that has lock ring on it. Also is there a upper steering column bearing i should replace as well?
There is usually some up and down movement of the shaft (tilt column may have quite a bit of movement)... wouldn't be too concerned unless it is super sloppy.

The bearing race is plastic.

There is an upper column bearing that is a pain to replace (have to disassemble some/most of the column). Fortunately, it's inside the vehicle so not as exposed to the elements... usually not as deteriorated as the lower bearing.

There is a small access hole in the under side of the lower column just above the bearing. If you spray some PB Blaster in the hole a day or two before hand, it may make it easier to get the bearing off the shaft. As previously mentioned sometimes its necessary to cut it off, but I've found that penetrating lube can do the trick if you can give it enough time to work.

It's also helpful to make an alignment mark on the column shaft and steering shaft (if the two shafts are not aligned correctly, you can't get the clamp bolt to go in.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Thanks. I just installed the HD borgeson steering shaft and noticed it. Gonna replace it tomorrow. I couldn't get the bearing off the upper shaft. Hope its not that hard to slip the new bearing over the upper shaft. Thanks for the input.
TRUVOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

here's a thread with pictures of it...install done on a YJ, but same bearing setup http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...t-pics-741968/
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.