Any recs? Radiator w/ Electric Fans for 258 (with 4.0 head conversion) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Any recs? Radiator w/ Electric Fans for 258 (with 4.0 head conversion)

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
WillyC24
1980 CJ7 

Any recs? Radiator w/ Electric Fans for 258 (with 4.0 head conversion)

Looking for a decent radiator with electric fans for my 1980 CJ7 258 with 4.0 head conversion.

Since I'm rebuilding the engine, I figured it would be good to lose the engine-mounted fan and use an electric fan on the radiator instead.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for this setup?

WillyC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Ford Contour fans! I've used them for years and they are great! Just make sure you get a set from the V6, it is a double fan instead of one. I went a step further and installed a thermostat housing from a 4.0. It is identical to the 4.2, except it has a threaded bung to install a temp switch. The Contour fan shroud fits almost like OEM!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I've recently done several upgrades to the cooling system on 'Betty' save for one; horizontally tubed radiator, I've read they're more efficient at cooling, and if this three row ever gives out, that's what I'm gonna go with. Above all, use a fan shroud, this'll help the radiator use its entire surface.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
esearscj7
1983 CJ7 

I did the same setup as CJ Chet. Contour dual fans and 4.0 thermostat housing with Painless fan control. Works GREAT. I also have an all aluminum radiator. The fans hardly ever come on, but when they do it only takes a few seconds to cool back down.
esearscj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
esearscj7
1983 CJ7 

Contour fan pics.
dscn4579.jpg   dscn4580.jpg  
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

x3 on the Contour. Hard to find at wrecking yards around here. If it didn't get killed in the front, the drag racers have already bought 'em.
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
johnson30
1978 CJ5 

Found a fan....

Right now, I've got an awesome autozone fan with no shroud serving as a pusher, in that it is sitting in front of my radiator. Knowing full well that not having a fan shroud is not optimal, I really need a shrouded fan to replace my set-up. I have no issues with overheating, so this is not a problem to solve, just a situation I want to improve.

I've got no engine fan, since that was the whole goal of the electric, and my radiator is spaced back towards the engine to accommodate the electric between the grill and the radiator.

Every time I look for an electric fan for a CJ5, the comments say that whatever product I am looking at will not fit on a CJ with "heavy-duty cooling", which I happen to have, as the original factory window sticker indicates. (by the way, how cool is it that three owners felt it was only right to pass that down over the past 29 years???). Sure enough, when I measure, there is not much space between the water pump pulley and the radiator...I can't measure it right now because I'm about 10,000 miles away from the jeep....but every electric I want to buy would indeed conflict with the pulley. Even the autozone fan was a problem- that's why it is a pusher and not a puller.

Anyway, looking at your Countour fan mounted to the grill, it is clear you have an aftermarket radiator, and I would almost say that it is set back in the grill a little more than mine.

I found a "Car Parts Wholesaler" website almost immediately that had what looks exactly like the countour fan in your pictures for sale for $126.00

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/?Ntt=replacement+radiator+fan+f160910

So my question is: what is different about your set up that makes this fan possible? The specs say the contour fan is 4.5 inches thick. It looks like you put the angled mounting plate BEHIND the normal mounting spots....instead of outside.....if that makes sense. Like you slid the radiator inside the grill instead of mounting it to the back surface.

Again, the only problem seems to be the amount of space between the radiator and the water pump pulley.......it's clear the fan fits the other dimensions.

Your set up looks pretty sweet.
johnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson30 View Post
The specs say the contour fan is 4.5 inches thick.
The Contour fans are actually 3.3 inches thick and the shroud is a direct fit to the factory sized radiator.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
johnson30
1978 CJ5 

Well hot dog!

I stand corrected. 3.3 inches just might work.

Thanks for the correction.
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
esearscj7
1983 CJ7 

One other note. The Contour fans are a direct fit for original radiators. For my aluminum radiator I had to do a little trimming for it to fit. Wasn't too difficult. And yes my radiator is mounted on the back side of the grill flanges. I was just trying to gain a little more clearance. I probably didn't need to do it though. That is the exact fan that I bought from Car Parts Wholesaler. I thought new would be better than a junkyard fan. Price was pretty good I thought.
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
johnson30
1978 CJ5 

Thermostat controls

Digging more into this, looks like the contour fan is the way to go, and can be acquired for a reasonable price.

$300 for the painless dual fan control seems really expensive, but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

That said, I need to expose my ignorance and ask a question: are all thread-in type thermostatic fan control switches set to a universal thread and size? Would the jeep 4.0 thermostat housing accept a chevy or ford thermo switch and vice versa, for example?

Does the thermo switch that threads into the side of the 4.2 2bbl intake manifold have the same thread and size as the thermostat housing for the 4.0?

Is all that stuff interchangeable?????
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
WillyC24
1980 CJ7 

Bump on johnson30's questions

I'll probably go with an AutoZone Spectra Premium Radiator (#433583) and the Contour electric dual-fan setup.

However, I really like CJ Chet's thermostat housing setup, and I will ultimately have a 4.0 head on my 258. Could you please send a link to the thermostat housing, temp switch, and anything else necessary for that setup?
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
WillyC24
1980 CJ7 

* clarification, by "setup" I mean the thermostat housing setup. P.S. What temp thermostat is best?
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I used this switch on mine. There are many different ones. This is just the one I chose. It screws right into the 4.0 thermostat housing. The housing is just a standard thermostat housing from any 4.0 (pick a year). I wired mine up with simple relay power, no fancy controllers or stuff like that. I believe in the K.I.S.S principle. So far it has worked very nicely, on and off road.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=30110

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
johnson30
1978 CJ5 

Thread in thermo....

Chet-

Right on. You basically answered my question: I went looking for thermostatic switches and found the very one you linked to, then wondered if I could use it with a relay to cut my fans on and off. What I didnt know was if it would fit. Did you have to use the included adaptor?

Right now, I have the autozone BS adjustable on/off, but it relies on the air temp, as the probe doesnt stick into the coolant, or the radiator fins....it's just attached about 1/4 inch from the radiator surface and kicks the fan on when the air reaches whatever temperature....not very scientific, so it doesnt appeal to me. It does work, but there is a better, more exact way.

Also, the prices I saw for the probe/switch averaged under $40, while the full-on Painless dual-fan set up was $300, so if it isnt entirely necessary, this has some appeal. The 4.0 thermostat housing is $30, the Contour fan about $140

Contour fan, 4.0 thermo housing with the thermostatic switch and relay sounds like a winner. All for around $200.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.