Any Problems With Quadratec Windshield Frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Any Problems With Quadratec Windshield Frame?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Any Problems With Quadratec Windshield Frame?

Hey guys,

I hope to order a new windshield frame, glass, and cowl seal for my '81 CJ7. I'm considering this package from Quadratec:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12501_0000.htm

Have any of you had recent success, or failure, with this package?

I've read that Quadratec was shipping windshield frames that didn't match the factory design a few years ago. Apparently, this created problems with the cowl seal fitment. Have they fixed this defect?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nobody, eh?

How about this one from Jeepglass.com?

Sorry if this is a tired subject, but all I'm reading is horror stories about aftermarket frames. I can't seem to find a recent positive experience.

Is anyone making a factory quality replacement frame?

Thanks,

Matt
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I had one from Qadratech 4 years ago and it fitted absolutely fine. The glass went in straight and it seals perfectly to the cowl with the new cowl seal they sent.

The CJ7 is a 60s design, the metal got bashed at the factory to make it all fit.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bagus,

Thanks. Was yours exactly like the original?

Apparently some aftermarket versions have an extra rib on the front lower face, others are made of cheap steel and warp around the wipers, and others have a flange that's too wide and doesn't fit with the cowl.

Anyone purchase either of the two products listed above, recently?

Matt
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

My replacement has the two ribs. Fits fine. Only has to oval out the wiper motor holes to make the linkage not bind, but no biggie.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
1983 CJ7 

I can provide a different perspective. I bought an aftermarket CJ frame and decided it felt cheap and I heard horror stories of the windshield wiper pivots binding due to the metal flexing. I sold it and bought a used YJ frame, off a 1995 I believe that was in decent shape externally with limited surface rust. I poured some rusty metal primer inside, stripped it to bare metal, painted it with epoxy primer and then the base coat clear coat.

A few months later I was looking at the frame and noticed a bubble in the paint. After looking at my photos I could not see any rust or other damage in the location of the bubble so it definitely rusted from the inside out. At the very least, a used YJ frame will be 17 years old and a CJ frame 26 years old, I guarantee there is rust inside of every used windshield frame.

I think you made the right decision buying a new aftermarket frame if it has the two stiffening ribs and the only way you would be better off would be snagging a NOS Wrangler frame.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Which aftermarket frame did you buy?

So, has anyone used either of the frames listed above, recently?

Matt
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

i just got the aftermarket kit from quadratec (glass,frame,seals) i want to say last winter.

overall im happy with it, made pretty solid and only two minor problems i found with it:

1)took a little fiddling with the wipers but not a nightmare.

2) the bottom lip of the windshield frame was about 2x longer than OE. i just bent mine over and it was good to go.

this kind of seems to be one of those things where you have to pick your poison. i think 243 said it best. no matter what used frame you get its at least 17 years old and is a crap shoot. going aftermarket seems to be the same. personally i felt better just going with the new frame and modifying it as any other aftermarket body piece would.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

In reply my Qadratech one has a double ridge, one just below the wipers, one just above the cowl seal. The old one was flat.

It fitted the cowl just fine.

I am very happy with it.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
gone2hatteras
1983 CJ7 

I replaced mine about 6 yrs ago with the Quadratech frame, poured a good primer inside to coat any bare metal to prevent rust and it's been fine. The fit was good, glass fitted without issues and the cowl seal does not leak. This is a daily driver and the wiper area shows no sign of the cracking you read about. Just keep in mine that it is a aftermarket body part, you will have to fit it to your vehicle. OEM body parts of the 70's and 80's didn't always fit and needed adjustments and tweaking before finishing.
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen.

I'm hoping to find one without the extra ridge on the front face. It seems like that may have been added to support the thinner metal of the that frame. Or is that actually a YJ design? Dunno.

Anyway, is sounds like a bit of a crap shoot with these things. I want as close to original as I can find. I don't mind a little tweaking , but I'd prefer not to have to cut or bend the bottom lip.

Has anyone bought the JeepGlass.com version? One person on another thread said they are a little better quality.

Matt
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Since I can't seem to find an exact replacement, I'm considering trying to salvage my original frame.

Here are some pics. The close-ups are the worst rust spots. My plan would be to tape the holes and pour Rust Mort inside the frame, then treat the exterior.

My concern is twofold: 1) The rust returning, and 2) getting a proper seal around the glass. Based on these pics, do you think this frame is worth salvaging?

Thanks,

Matt
windshield1.jpg   windshield2.jpg   windshield3.jpg   windshield4.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Matt, I couldn't find an exact replica 15 years ago either. So the one I got had the rib across the front too (I don't recall whether it was from Qtec or 4WDInc). For some reason I'm thinking it was a Kentrol brand but could be wrong. The only issue I remember having was one of the bolt holes for the hings was slightly off and caused the bolt to go in at a slight angle. Other than that a good coat of Zero-Rust and some RTV blue sealer kept it in good shape so far.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Matt, Im glad you brought this up, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new frame too. Yours my freind is like mine. 17 cents a pound! Seam rust too...never get a weld to hold AND seal. Well, I can't. I'm likely to go q-tec because I'm a cheap prick. For $100 I can do alot of filing/fitting. And you may wind up w/the same aftermarket piece!
My .02 cents
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Renegade82,

Thanks. I've decided to re-use my original, for now. The rust hasn't gotten to any visible areas, once all the trim and seals are back on. If I can stop, or at least slow the rust down, I should be able to get several more years out of this one.

My main concern is this edge, were some of the metal has flaked away. The metal that remains is still good, but the edge is uneven. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get a good seal around this spot.

Matt
windshield4.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.