JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Any Information on Evan-Fisher Windshield Frame (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/any-information-evan-fisher-windshield-frame-1537947/)

steelhead9 06-17-2013 11:35 PM

Any Information on Evan-Fisher Windshield Frame

In researching a replacement windshield frame for my 84 CJ7 I keep coming up with Crown and Omix-Ada. However I did find two other companies, Evan-Fisher and Sherman. Evan-Fisher is the most expensive, Sherman is second most expensive and then it's Omix-Ada and lastly Crown.

I did call Collins Bros. and their frame is made by Crown, as is the ones sold by Quadra Tech.

Have any of you heard of or used the Evan-Fisher frame or the Sherman one? I'm hoping to get one made out of steel closer to the original gauge. :confused:

steelhead9 06-19-2013 07:58 AM

Sherman or Evan-Fisher?

The Evan-Fisher is $241 on Amazon so I'm thinking it might be better quality, but I don't know? Someone must have tried something beside Crown or Omix-Ada?

S76 06-19-2013 10:43 AM

Good question. I'd like to know that too. Thanks

steelhead9 06-21-2013 12:43 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Evan-Fischer windshield frame for my CJ7, it was $240 on Amazon. I will see if the extra $100 gets me any better quality. I'll try and let you know how it comes out.

keith460 06-21-2013 07:18 AM

Hate to inform you but, Evan-Fischer is just like Omix-Ada, importers of overseas made parts. Same as Sherman, but Sherman deals with mostly body panels made in Taiwan that are paper thin 1mm gauge steel.

Crown has the windshield frames made in China and are a OEM gauge steel but have some minor flaws. And I believe the Omix-Ada frames are made by the same company that makes them for Sherman and Evan-Fischer.... somewhere in Taiwan.

Just last month I met Rommel Juan of MD Juan Company, who make the Repli-Tubs in the Philippines and many other Jeep related parts, at Quadratec. I gave him my original 84' CJ-7 windshield frame, that had a little rust but was still usable, so they could start duplicating them for us in exact OEM quality and fitment. We spent a few minutes going over the fine details of them and compared them to the ones made by Crown, that Quadratec had on hand, and then had the OEM windshield frame shipped back to the Philippines. They should start making them within a year or two. MD Juan currently makes CJ windshield frames but I have never seen one up close or know how the quality is either. Don't even know how you would be able to purchase one or who sells them.

By the way, Amazon sells that Evan-Fischer frame much cheaper than what you are getting it for: http://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-E...f=pd_sxp_f_pt#

steelhead9 06-21-2013 07:34 AM

Hey Keith460,

Thanks for the information. The frame you listed is much cheaper but the fitment chart states that it doesn't fit my 84 CJ7. The frame I am buying is EVA21172010402 and is coming from the same store as the one you linked. Do you have any idea what the difference is (besides $120) ?

keith460 06-21-2013 09:03 AM

Maybe the one I linked is for a YJ and not a CJ. Can't find that part number for reference anywhere else but Amazon and the photo they use is probably just a generic one.

Ronzi 06-21-2013 11:50 AM

Why is it people are set on buying a steel frame? I got sick of screwing with them and bought a fiberglass frame. I did have to work on it a little to get it to fit right and getting the wiper linkage in was a pain but I have had zero problems with it since its been installed and I doubt I will in the future unless I hit something with it.
Im just curious why it seems most people want a steel frame.

keith460 06-21-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronzi (Post 15590074)
I'm just curious why it seems most people want a steel frame.

Because, if it ain't steel, it ain't real! :)

chatham 06-21-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith460 (Post 15590439)
Because, if it ain't steel, it ain't real! :)

I hear that all the time so I keep going out into the garage to make sure my vette is real. Low and behold, it starts and drives like hell every time. :cool:

Cutlass327 06-21-2013 02:40 PM

I bought the Kentrol 'glass one for mine, I like the fact that it is made locally here in my father's home town, but the fit has a lot to be desired. I had to adjust the notch in the wiper pivot holes to turn the pivot a little to prevent them from hitting their travel stops, I had to shim about 1/4" between the dash plate and the windshield frame because the windshield frame was too narrow. I still have 1/4" of weather seal across the top of the tub just hanging out since it is not a flush fit, and it has slid around between the 2 surfaces so that some of it is visible from the outside and some is on the inside. I had to use some foam tape to fill the gaps in the center along the bottom since it seemed to bow upwards. And my glass didn't fit, had to open the inside a bit to get the glass and seal to actually fit. It still isn't right, the seal doesn't sit flat like it should, so I had to silicone around it - redneck work quality... This was AFTER I split the first frame trying to tighten the hinges and dash plate down, which is how I discovered the 1/4" of difference in the tub top and frame thickness...

Would I go back to steel? Not until they make them out of stainless...

Spieg8 06-21-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith460 (Post 15589130)
Just last month I met Rommel Juan of MD Juan Company, who make the Repli-Tubs in the Philippines and many other Jeep related parts, at Quadratec. I gave him my original 84' CJ-7 windshield frame, that had a little rust but was still usable, so they could start duplicating them for us in exact OEM quality and fitment.

What I've been wishing for is someone to build a windshield frame to fit a CJ but use the YJ style wiper linkage. :idea:
YJ linkage is much better than the CJ design. YJ fames can be fitted to a CJ, but it's a pain to cut the defrost vents on the bottom of the frame and to relocate the dash mounting holes.

steelhead9 06-22-2013 12:51 AM

Well, my original frame made it 30 years, so if my new one lasts half that long I will be quite pleased. Actually I'm guessing that my new one will last longer because I will line it with 2 part Macropoxy Epoxy coating. As long as it fits! I don't want to be trimming on a brand new frame, we will see. My main concern is that I am mounting the light bar back on the new frame. I think I'll use threaded inserts for extra strength. It should be here Monday so I can get to painting.

keith460 06-23-2013 09:19 AM

I sloshed the inside of my aftermarket windshield frame with Boiled Linseed oil. It creeps into every orifice and crack but takes about a month to dry.

steelhead9 06-23-2013 09:20 PM

Linseed oil is good for a lot of things, but as you say takes a long time to dry. I already have some left over Macropoxy--$150 per gallon, and it is great stuff. We use it on most of our exterior steel projects as a base coat for the 2 part Polyurathane. It is a stand alone coating but doesn't hold up to the UV, inside the windshield frame it should work perfectly.

The time now is 12:31 PM.