Any ideas for an exhaust leak fix??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Any ideas for an exhaust leak fix???

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

Any ideas for an exhaust leak fix???

I've got a leak where the manifold and pipe come together. The 82 doesn't have a donut, it's just a flange that pressure fits together. I need to get to a muffler shop and have a new flange welded on BUT in the meantime, what can I do to seal this thing off? Is there any kind of temporary funnel shaped gasket that would work? Here's a picture...notice the leak in the top, left hand side.

81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

It looks like the one bolt on the side that does not leak is too tight. It should be more balanced. Try loosening the sealed side then tighten the leaking side.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Muffler bandage

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

It looks like an old doughnut to me. Pull it all apart and see. The doughnut will have a shoulder on it and a little short stub that fits up inside the exhaust manifold. What you could ise is another stubby to slip down into the down pipe. Get some aluminized pipe (exhaust pipe) that's smaller than the ID of the doughnut and have it expanded to a nice snug fit inside of the doughnut. If its too tight and you have to tap it in too much it will split the doughnut so be careful. Leave enough of the pipe sticking out the bottom of it so it will insert into the down pipe. Put it all together and tighten it down evenly on both sides.

How do you expand the pipe to fit?..the muffler shop and a little cash, or a rose bud tip on your oxy/acytline torch and one of those expanders you can get at the harbor freight.
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That one doesn't look to be tightened on square which will cause that leak as semikrazy posted.

When they tighten down, the ring will actually deform the pipe flange to seal it up. The nut will make a creaking noise as it gets tight enough.

I also find mine keeps coming loose if i don't have a hanger that goes up to the clutch mount area on the bell housing. For some reason mine came with this tranny hanger and when it rots off, my flange comes loose every time. Just one of those universal strap type of hangers will do it.

We compared exhaust system drawings a while back on this forum and the tranny hanger mine has is a 4 banger hanger for some reason. The local muffler shop showed it in their books for the 6 and mine did come with it so...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
CJ7VFR

I had the same problem.

What it looks like is that the clamping flange is bent, and the flared end of your downpipe is deformed.

If you can take the downpipe off, and you can get the clamping flange off, you can straighten it out
along with straightening up the flared end of the pipe.

I just recently had a crack in my downpipe, and I took it off to weld up the crack.

I noticed my clamping flange was bent like yours due to the fact that I thought
making it tighter would help, which is actually not what you have to do as both
Mike and semikrazy have said. Also, the flared end of my downpipe was deformed too.

I took them off, used a BFH and a vise to get them flat again, and re-installed them, only this
time I put an even amount of torque to both bolts. And it stopped leaking.

Also, Jeepmaster, its not an old doughnut on there. Alot of later year CJ's incorporated a metal
type of doughnut on the end of the exhaust manifold to eliminate the regular doughnut
they needed to help seal up the exhaust.

I guess it was a cost savings thing, as they were able to eliminate one part, and one step in
the production line when the exhausts were installed.

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

I said it looked like an old doughnut. That is my opinion.
I say this because the doughnuts are also made with cast Iron.
It also appears to me (again my opinion) that it has a slightly different color than the manifold itself.
So if CJ7VFR (Jim) wants to say that it's part of the manifold that too would be pure conjecture on his part, not necessarily a fact.
Things get swapped around alot on these Jeeps so there's no telling for sure.
We wont really know until the OP chimes in on the subject now will we?

Last edited by jeepmaster03; 03-12-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

Yep it's part of the manifold, no donut. I appreciate all the input. I took my time, cleaned both surfaces, and gently re shaped the flange and it seems to be sealed up.
81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

Well there you go
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
halpeters
1978 CJ7 

Not much is going to make that pipe seal.... This is what happens:

1. The flange is bent from age, and doesn't provide even pressure around the flange.

2. The down pipe has "work hardened" from heat cycles, and will not conform to the flange in the manifold.

This is a simple and not too expensive item for a muffler shop to fabricate. If the pipe is in good shape, they can replace just the first foot or so of the down pipe. Be sure they use a new flange.

As Mike said, make sure the first clamp / hanger by the transmission is installed, otherwise the new pipe will soon be leaking too.

Hal
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't mean to sound like a wise guy in my previous post. It was just a suggestion as he wants to go to the muffler shop to get it fixed. Just a suggestion for a cheap/quick way to quiet it down until he gets there.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.