ANy idea whats wrong with my axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ANy idea whats wrong with my axle?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

ANy idea whats wrong with my axle?

SO I just got gears put in my dana 44s in the summer and basically my rear end is gone. The yoke bearing seems to be completely gone i mean the yoke will move a quarter inch in all directions and will pull out like a quarter inch. What do you think this is?... is it a matter of a bearing or am i goin to have to have the axle rebuilt. There are no metal shavings in the gear oil and the ring gear looks perfectly fine.

I started noticing the problem because it seemed like there was alot of play in between the time I let off the gas till the compression braking started in the gears if tht makes sense. I have pictures and a video of the yoke but i dont know how to post either.

Any help at all would be great

1985 cj7- SOA w/ Re 1.5" springs, Scout dana 44's, 4.56 gears f/r with full detroit f/r. Flattop knuckles and highsteer. Custom steering with 1 ton TRE's. Procomp es 3000 shocks w/ f250 shock towers. Tom Woods rear d shaft, 37" MTR's... with more and more sh*t piling up
jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I would re-torque the pinion bearing and pull the rear cover and recheck the carrier bolts as well. Sounds like it wasn't tightened down right. Also check your U-joints as well, could be something simple.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
jeepin cj-5

is this something that is worth fixing myself or should I pull the axle and take it back to the guy who put it in
.... the other thing i dont understand is what is allowing the pinion to pull out like a quarter inch... would that happen if the bearing was shot
1985 cj7- SOA w/ Re 1.5" springs, Scout dana 44's, 4.56 gears f/r with full detroit f/r. Flattop knuckles and highsteer. Custom steering with 1 ton TRE's. Procomp es 3000 shocks w/ f250 shock towers. Tom Woods rear d shaft, 37" MTR's... with more and more sh*t piling up
Unread 02-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
nozzleram

If your pinion is moving like you describe I'd stop driving it and get it towed back to where you had it installed. That is drastically wrong. A pinion gear that moves a quarter inch is not a good thing. I can't believe your ring gear is still looking good. With the money it takes to build an axel in a shop I'd be screaming for a warranty repair.
Unread 02-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
cjbilt4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin cj-5
or should I pull the axle and take it back to the guy who put it in

I would first contact this guy and see what he will do.
If he is willing to fix your Jeep,just trailer it to the shop.
Unread 02-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
tahoe wheelers

Id pull the diff cover and check the ring gears, if the shiney coating on the gears is wore off, you will be buying a new ring and pinion. If this is true contact my buddy over at Randys Ring and Pinion, his name is Tom Whitney and he'll take good care of you.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I imagine the rearend gears were pretty noisy before all this happened?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2006, 06:01 AM   #8
jeepin cj-5

it went through a period of being noisy when there was water in it, but after i discovered that and fixed it it wuited back down.... based on the fact that water was involved im thinkin I will pull the rear end and take it to a local shop (here at school in blacksburg) and see what they have to say... see it its an improper installation deal or a problem of having water in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.